Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BWOs on the Hiwassee

Default BWOs on the Hiwassee

The last 2 afternoons have produced epic BWO hatches on the Hiwassee. Hungry trout plus a blizzard of bugs has produced some exceptional fishing. I was lucky enough to fish this hatch 2 afternoons in a row. Yesterday was better as far as numbers and size of fish caught but today had the larger hatch. The bugs were so thick that the main reason you didn't get hits was that there were just too many options.

Updated: Just posted a short video clip of the rising fish to my blog...I took the video with my digital camera this afternoon...

Yesterday, I did well catching 2 decent browns in addition to lots of rainbows. The browns wanted a softhackle I was fishing as a dropper.

The bugs...

Which were being consumed by these...

The sun broke through late this afternoon, lighting up the far bank of the river...

Last edited by David Knapp; 04-14-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Updated
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Default Mayflies

I'm glad to hear that the mayflies are makin' a good appearance. Those are some cool pics.

mstone

that video is insane! the water looks like it's boiling. that camera takes a pretty decent video.
    Trevor

Outstanding! Nice brownie.
    "Days spent fishing are not deducted from one's time on earth."

Plateau Angler-

This one appears to be a male Hendrickson dun (Ephemerella subvaria).

Taxon, welcome to the board! It is interesting you mentioned that...it very well could be... I have spent quite a bit of time the last couple of days trying to figure out what exactly these bugs were and have discussed it with some other people. I actually used the link you have at the bottom of your post and entered in the characteristics and it returned the mayfly of the family Ephemerellidae and specifically the Attenella attenuata. I originally thought they were all BWO's and just assumed this guy was just a little darker than the others. Any further thoughts would be appreciated as this bug identification thing is confusing at times...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

That reminds me of something that happened Saturday....
    I was fishin a pool that ALWAYS has trout rising in the tail of it. I was fishing an "adams" emerger and catching some trout. Well these two..uh yankees came down to the water. I politely got out the water and took off my glasses. They looked at the air, "What kind of bugs are those?"
    The other guy mumbled something in Latin. I said "Grey ones, kinda dark grey....Id say an adams or BWO. Size 16, probably could get away w/ a 14 though." They gave me this god-awful look and left. HAHA!
    Last edited by MTN_TRT; 04-16-2007 at 08:58 AM.

I wouldn't call that fly a hendrickson.

Looks like a paraleps to me.

Frequent visitors on the Hiwassee and most of your darker bwo patterns will work fine when the fish are busting the paraleps.

Quote Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
    Taxon, welcome to the board! It is interesting you mentioned that...it very well could be... I have spent quite a bit of time the last couple of days trying to figure out what exactly these bugs were and have discussed it with some other people. I actually used the link you have at the bottom of your post and entered in the characteristics and it returned the mayfly of the family Ephemerellidae and specifically the Attenella attenuata. I originally thought they were all BWO's and just assumed this guy was just a little darker than the others. Any further thoughts would be appreciated as this bug identification thing is confusing at times...
    Plateau Angler-

Thanks for the welcome. What characteristics did you enter?

Why aren't you fishing today Rocky, little too windy? Although the fly looks alot like Paraleptophlebia, I don't think it is. They have very small oval hind wings (only one of the three tail duns if I'm not mistaken that do) and this specimen appears to me to have prominent hind wings with the shallow depression and small projection commonly found in Ephemerella. What do you think Taxon? They are all so close in appearce, and the truth is PA they all could have been hatching that day.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali