Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple Nice Ones

Default Couple Nice Ones

I fished the Hiwassee for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and got into a couple better than average fish. Both fish came on a brown hackle peacock softhackle. In addition to the softhackle, small red copper johns continue to do well. The traditional wetfly swing was deadly yesterday in the faster water. I broke off a good brown and caught several smaller fish. These two fish were caught on a dead drift...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Sweet! Nice looking fish. That St Croix(at least that's what it looks like) is a fish catcher!! Water looks great..

Mark...
    "Great things are done when men and mountains meet." William Blake

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)

Hey PA,

Any bug activity on the water?

Mark...
    "Great things are done when men and mountains meet." William Blake

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)

Nice Fish!!!

Mark,

I was really surprised but there was minimal insect activity. It was raining during the middle part of the day and I had hoped it would bring the mayflies out. However, the sun came back out later and slowed the insect activity. Saw a few caddis and some midges and that is about it. Evening caddis should be good although I didn't have time to stay and find out... There were quite a few small (#18ish) dun caddis on and around the bushes on shore in a few places.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

The Trout Zone Blog

Smile double SWEET!!!

Congratulations!!
    dan
    " I caught you a delicious bass "

nice fish. was TVA pulsing all day or was the water completely off? And did those fish come out of the trophy section or above Big Bend?

Water was pulsing and all fish were caught above Big Bend... There are some very good fish in the river right now. The hard part is finding them out feeding. I have seen huge browns feeding this spring along with the more "normal" 18-20 inch large fish.

The Trout Zone Blog

Are you noticing that you are catching more fish when the water is off or when there is a generator running or as the water is rising or falling. My favorite time to fish the HI is with one generator going. I seem to catch less fish when the water is completely off.

Quote Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
    Water was pulsing and all fish were caught above Big Bend... There are some very good fish in the river right now. The hard part is finding them out feeding. I have seen huge browns feeding this spring along with the more "normal" 18-20 inch large fish.

That is a very good question. I've been doing equally well during the pulse as when it is at low water... A change of tactics is need though. On the days that produce good hatches (usually cloudy, preferably cool with rain or at least drizzle), the afternoon pulse has seemd to trigger the hatch. The bugs start coming off in earnest as the water falls out after the pulse and continues for an hour or so after the water has dropped all the way out.

During the pulse, the best method has been swinging wet flies. On low water, it is getting warm enough that the fish are starting to stay in the faster water, pockets, etc when the water is off. For the picky risers in flat water, lately they have been taking subsurface flies just fine (dry with dropper...). I will work through the slow flatwater stretches slowly and whenever I see a rise, I will make a quick cast above it if possible. The fish have been very partial to red copper johns but bhpts will also pick up plenty of these fish. These flies should stay small, #16-#18 and fish them 18-24 inches below a dry or small indicator.

Stripping or dead drifting streamers has consistently picked up a few fish as well.

The Trout Zone Blog