Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Felts?

Default Cleaning Felts?

I could use some advice. My felt boots are so loaded, that they slip on rocks they use to grip. I've tried spraying them down, but I'm not sure how to get them back to their normal state. I've not worn them down enough to need to change them, so if I can just get them "unloaded", I should be good to go for a while. Anyone had similar problems?

later
    Dan

I'm hard on boots, I usually bust the seams before any other trouble shows up.,.

While I mostly wear wading boots with studded Aquastealth, once or twice a year, I'll use my pressure washer with the diffuser head to clean the gunk outta felts. It just blasts it right out. If ya don't have a pressure washer, take them to the carwash and do them.
    Kevin Little
    South River Fly Shop
    Fly Fishing Guide
    Bamboo Rodmaker
    Registered Maine Guide

Default Thanks

I will try the pressure washer, thanks for the advice. I'm just starting to see some seams come loose on these boots, but they are still in pretty good shape. They are very comfortable. (Simms, but I don't remember what model)

When I wear them out, I'm leaning towards the Chota STL's. I've heard guys in the LRCTU talk about them, and they sound good.

What kind of flies do lobster go after anyway?

later
    Dan

I clean and "rough" up the surface with a steel brush. Works for me and I haven't noticed that it wears down the felt any faster?

BTW- I just bought a new pair of orvis "pack&travel" at LRO. My first pair lasted for many,many years. IMO, can't be beat,especially if you like to hike and fish....
    Mark...
    "Great things are done when men and mountains meet." William Blake

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)

I've noticed my boots slipping alot more lately, and couldn't figure out why. maybe they just need to be cleaned.
    Trevor

I had noticed my boots getting "slicker", but thought I was imagining it. However, a couple of weeks ago, as I was falling I decided I was not imagining it any more.

I will try both the pressure washer and steel brush today, and test the boots tomorrow. I'll make sure to post my results.
    later
    Dan

First things first, I caught three bows, not real big, but lots of fun. I fished two spots in Tremont, and a stretch below Elkmont.

Now as for my boots, they did much much better. I tried the steel brush on my right boot, and it made the felt softer on the surface. I did not brush the left boot, so I could see if there was a difference. I pressure washed both of them ($1.25 at a local car wash). The pressure washing brought them close to being white again, but did not make the left boot softer.

The real test was in the stream, no difference for left or right. They both worked the same. I only slipped on one rock, and it was at a steep angle, and I was being careful.

Afterwards, when I put my boots out to let them dry, I checked the soles again. I could not feel a difference between the right and the left boot. So, my verdict is the pressure washing is enough. I may try just the brush next time, but I'm not sure how long it will be until I need to clean them again.
    later
    Dan

I just use a garden hose with a spray attachment. It may not be a pressure washer, but you can still get a pretty high pressure stream, and it seems to do the trick.

-Milton

Smile Boots

Dan,
    I highly recommend the Chotas to my clients that complain about their boots! I have guided in mine for awhile now with no regrets. Far more comfortable than my old pair of Simms boots.