Thread: Saltwater Rods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Saltwater Rods

I just purchased a 9' 9wt orvis silver label rod. It is a 2 pc 6.0 mid flex rod. I got this rod for $51.00 of ebay. Can any one tell me if this will be a good salt water rod and how slow of an action it will be?

That rod will probably be perfect. I prefer slower rods for saltwater use. I own a fly shop and I have bought a lot of 12 weight rods and I finally found that the St. Croix Avid, which they don't make any more is perfect for me. For a 9 Wt. I use a Temple Fork Professional. All of these are inexpensive rods and on the slow side. I find that in many saltwater situations a slower rod works best. You can load the rod and make a 25 foot cast if you need to. Contrary to popular belief many of your shots will be at a short distance. You can also make long casts with your rod. Your 9 wt. is similar to what I use. The faster rods don't work in short distance casting for me. One thing you also have to consider is if the rod is strong enough to fight big fish. I had a slower 12 weight that I loved to cast but any tarpon over 100 pounds could not be whipped using it. My 9 weight and yours will do fine on large redfish, bonefish, speckled trout and baby tarpon.

Byron

Default thanks

Thanks for the reply and good information. I have been in your shop a number of times over the past eleven years and truly love it. I also enjoy your fishing reports each day. I will be taking this rod in question to florida in a few weeks and that info you gave me makes me feel good about my choice. Keep up the good work.