Thread: Popper help

Default Popper help

I have noticed that when I am fishing with a store bought popper that I am tearing them up. To be more specific the hackle comes loose at the back of the popper. I have heard of putting some fly tying cement on store boughts. Is there another suggestion or a preferred popper that stands up to panfish better? I really enjoy fishing for them and like to use store boughts along with what I tie. Thanks
    "The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing." Babylonian Proverb

Flying Trout,

I would be a good idea to put some extra head cement or maybe even Zap a Gap where the hackle is tied off. Bluegill are hard on poppers. Also, as long as the popper body is in good shape you can add some new hackle if you can't re-attach the old one. I know we talked about this at the shop today but I thought other people would want to know.

Byron

must be putting too many hours in at work and loosing it......I was really afraid to open this thread..........and then I realized I read it wrong.......whew!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really need a vacation.....say somewhere in the mountains.....anybody know of such a place?

buckeyetrouter
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

Default Thanks Byron

Thanks for the suggestion. Caught dozens of bluegill this afternoon and two bass. I have really enjoyed being on the lake this summer. Probably would not have gone as much if the water had not been so low in the mountains. I get a little more fishing time in after work than if I had been driving to the mountains. I need to sit down and actually tie some poppers up.
    "The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing." Babylonian Proverb