Thread: reels

Default reels

someone give their opinion on reels. i'm looking for 5 to 6 weight thats reasonably priced.

For a good reel at a good price, it's hard to beat the Orvis Clearwater.

If you think you'll be targeting any species where a decent drag is necessary, think about the Orvis Battenkill or Battenkill Bar Stock II reels. I used the Battenkills exclusively on large fish during my recent trip west and the drag didn't fail me once. They are great reels for the price...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Define "reasonably"...

I have the Clearwater, the Battenkill Mid-arbor, and the BBS II. All good reels for their respective prices. I find myself using the BBS II more than the others, primarily because of the weight/size. I fish the mountains more than the tailwaters and the BBS II is a better "fit" with either my 8' 3 wt. for dries, or my 8'6" 4 wt for dries, dry/dropper rigs, or nymphs. On tailwaters, I prefer the Battenkill Mid-arbor with my 9' 5wt.

So, for me, it's been a question of finding the right combination of rod/reel/line for the water I'm fishing. I'll have to defer to Plateau regarding the drag issue, since I have yet to encounter a fish large enough to test my drag.

If I had to pick one... BBS II

Default Orvis All The Way

I have 2 orvis battenkills mib arbors and they are awesome reels for an oustanding price. Great finish and suppereb drag
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

thanks guys i was already thinking about getting the battenkill. i have one and like it but i also wanted to test the waters here to see if anyone knew something i didn't
    All first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly-fishermen and John the favorite was a dry-fly fisherman. Norman Maclean

Default Take a look at Elkhorn

Go to elkhornflyrodandreel.com - check out their "Web specials" and take a look at the T-2 for $129. I bought a T-1 (2/3/4 wt) and just got the T-2 (5/6 wt). The T-1 had 2 little scratches on it and I received an e-mail letting me know if I wasn't satisfied to send it back. The T-2 is perfect. These reels are like a piece of fine jewelry. The drags are great. Back in June, I landed 4 Carp, all over 7 lbs, on the 3 wt with no trouble.
    To Miss Nancy - she hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.