Thread: Reel reconditioning

Default Reel reconditioning

Anyone know of a contact or place where you can send old reels to be reconditioned? I have an old Martin automatic retrieve reel that was my Dad's. For the last year I have just hung it up on the wall with an old bamboo fly rod that was my grandfathers. Well everytime I look at em I think it would be nice to take them off the wall and take em fishing. I don't think I'd ever use the rod. It appears to be in good shape but I know it is at least 50 years old and I would be scared that it wouldn't hold up. The reel is maybe from the early 70's near as I can figure, maybe further because I don't really remember my Dad going fly fishing, just spinners and that is about where my memory goes back to. Nothing valuable monetary wise but everything sentimental wise. Anyways, I was thinking it would be nice to take that out once in a while for nostalgic purposes. It still retreives and all, but would like to get it looked at and reconditioned if needed before using. I figured the small streams of the Smoky's would be ideal. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Byron Begley; 10-18-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Hoosier,

I didn't edit your post I just pushed the wrong button. Sorry. I would suggest buying another reel like the one you own and steal parts from it. I looked on the web and couldn't find a company who does that. I've had bad luck with automatic reels. I took one apart for a customer a few years ago and couldn't get it back together. Springs and parts flew out of it. I ended up giving him a new reel and he was happy.

Byron

Thanks Byron,

I did see a couple reels same make/model for sale on the internet going for near nothing. Good idea. I could experiment taking one of these apart before opening mine. If it seems to be too much maybe I will just let it rest.