Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain on the way????

Default Rain on the way????

Saw the forecast and it seems there is a very good chance of rain for at least today and tomorrow. Hopefully the park will get a nice soaking. I'm planning on a backcountry trip this weekend on the nc side near cherokee and would love to see some beneficial rainfall. For those in the area, keep us informed. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed......

Craig

That is great news! I hope it is a nice steady rain.

It's been raining here in Chattanooga off and on all morning. The rain has been gentle but steady, just what we need...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I looked at the radar and as long as things don't break up, it looks like some good rainfall may be on the horizon. I sure hope so, those pictures on here of the little river were downright depressing.

Plateau, check your email.....

Craig

I'm still at the shop. It's 7:00 pm. Ain't raining yet. The mountain forcast calls for 100% tonight and tomorrow.

Byron

Byron, that is really too bad... I've been watching the radar all day and the rain inevitably dissipates as it comes over the mountains into Blount County. The downslope drying effect is working to maximum efficiency. Strange thing, Blount county seems to just be a black hole. Almost everywhere else has picked up at least a little rain and there is a hole of no precip over the LR watershed...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

David,

I know. It's killing me. I keep the radar on my monitor all day then I go home a turn on the weather channel at night. Think I'll go do that right now.
    I hope school is going well for you. I'll visit you when you move west young friend.

Byron

Default The weather

Fellas,
    I just got back from a day on the Oconaluftee River and the Downslope effects were very evident. It was raining all the way to the top of the mountain and dry on the Tenn. side. I saw some huge browns today while fishing.
    Hugh
    Hugh Hartsell---East Tenn.
    smokymountainflyguide.com

Hugh, how did the water look in that area? Encouraging to hear that some big fish are out and hopefully overall the fishing was good. I can't wait to get up there this weekend and i will definitely post a report when i get back.

Craig

Default Water levels

Hi Craig,
    The water levels looked about as low as I have seen them this year, but they are still fishable. The barometric pressure was affecting the fish today, but we did catch some. I saw two browns that were at least 25-27 in. long and 1 brown that was gigantic. It was the second largest fish that I have ever seen in the Park and I estimated it to be over 30in.long. and it would have weighed somewhere in the 10-12lb. range. I stood on a bridge just over the top of it and watched it cruise around protecting a female that appeared to be on a bed. It looked like things had just started and she had not finished it yet. She was about 27in. long. It was pretty far down the river and it gave me hope that the bigger fish were not wiped out.
    Hugh
    Hugh Hartsell---East Tenn.
    smokymountainflyguide.com