Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What fly rod?

Default TFO 2-wt

I am partial to my TFO Finesse 2-wt that I purchased last year. It is one sweet rod and it casts like a dream with that medium action it has.

Travis

It's too cruel to say only pick one because there are so many different types of streams in the smokies.

For the smaller streams i would use my 7 1/2' 2wt. bamboo rod, it casts perfectly into tight spots and makes a 12" fish feel like a trophy. The bend and action of the rod is truely unbelievable.

For the larger streams i would go with a 9' 4wt. (possibly my new helios that's on the way!!!!!!!). Gotta have that longer rod to high stick.

Craig

If this about catching fish, the cane pole with a couple of wet flies in the hand of some of the old timers would probably come out on top.....if you have ever had an opportunity to watch this original form of "high sticking" you would be amazed at its effectiveness....would save us all a few dollars in the long run and we all could afford to have many more rods than we probably do now...

8ft 4 weight 4 piece

MM2888, Who made your 7.5 ft. 2wt boo rod?
    most are 4,5 and 6 wts

Thumbs up

It would be 8' 3wt for me.
    Wyatt

Default High Stick

Tell us more about this original 'high stick'

I got mine from a guy who makes them near charlotte, nc. It's a real nice piece and you gotta love the action of the boo. It definitely offers a much different feel than graphite rods.

Craig

I had the chance to fish a bamboo rod in Colorado this year before the Fly Tackle Retailer Show. If I were to make the move back to Tennessee and refocus my attention to trout, I would probably get a bamboo. I fished a 7 ft, 3 wt Eden Cane prototype and it was perfect on a small stream that was very similar to those in the park, except for the fact that it was about 11,000 ft above sea level. A beautiful rod that was a true joy to fish.

Drew

They really do have a totally different feel than graphite rods, that's for sure. There's something about fishing with one, too, i don't know what it is. It's something that i wish every fly fisherman could experience at least once. I told myself i wouldn't go back to graphite rods and that bamboo was my new thing, but that helios just looked too tempting! I would like a longer bamboo rod for the smokies as my 7 1/2" one is too short to effectively high stick. Maybe one day i'll put my name on the waiting list for one of walter babb's rods, i heard they were very nice.

Craig

7' 3wt. 3 piece Diamondglass