Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What fly rod?

Lot's of great choices, i normally take a Scott 703 Fibertouch or a Winston LT 793, there are a few streams where a 9' rod comes in handy, i rarely bring one so i have to disect the stream with the shorter rods.
    I agree, there isn't one perfect rod, thank goodness

Grumpy

Default bamboo

I have 2 of Babb's bamboo rods---the last one is a "Perfectionist" model 7'6" 4wt---He makes these babies for mountain fishing--The other is a 7'9" 5 wt that comes with 2 tips one for dry flies and the other for nymphs--it casts great---Have used both in Cumberland river---When you show up with a bamboo rod---everyone wants to see and feel--most fisherman would like to own one--and yes it is true there is something about bamboo,that you can't really put your finger on,but adds a little mystique to a days fishing--DavidRedington builds a really nice 6wt 8'(South Fork Rod Co.)--his little 3 wts are nice---I have not seen any 2 wt's but I'll bet they are a lot of fun--The Orvis's,Hardy's,Winston's in bamboo are just too expensive(Glenn Brackett's Winston rods don't count)---Larry at Hight Sierra Rods makes some really nice rods--I have a "Brookie" that casts great.

Default PS to reply

I have an order in with Walter Babb-for an 8wt that he says is the best bamboo rod yet for tailwaters----