Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where oh where to go? Help!!

If you're wanting something a little more out of the way, then I'll echo the responses from Waterborn and chemeangler. Soutwest Colorado has a LOT to offer...everything from huge trout on technical tailwaters (with crowds...) to lots of small to medium size streams that don't get much pressure at all... Durango would be a great base and I might also suggest Gunnison as a great small town with tons of fishing around...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Spent a week in AUG 07 in ID; Frank Church Wilderness was great. Flew into Big Creek and stayed 3+ days, but it could have easily been a week. Is a lot to fish in Stanley/Ketcham area as well. If I was going again would try to hit mid to late JUL. There is a report on this somewhere on the msg bd. Watson

Thanks for all your input. We are going to look into southern Colorado. We are still considering going back to Montana or trying Utah. Flights are pretty reasonable to Denver and Salt Lake, but getting to Montana is a little more costly. It's only money, right?
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

YELLOWSTONE.. stay in Silvergate or Cooke City you won't find crowds there. Float the Madison with someone out of BRF and then stay up in the NE corner of the park. I like to treat myself and stay at the Lake hotel a couple of nights.

Durango would be my second pick (sometimes my first).. lots of small water to fish. some nice water basically runs right thru Telluride. If you go to Durango do the Silverton/Durango train ride. Absolutely awesome! Make reservations as early was you can it fills quickly.

Default Montana

I love Montana. Start at the Gallatin River by Squaw Creek just outside of Big Sky for some great small stream fishing next to the Gallatin. I never saw another fisherman in the 4 years I went out in the summer. Then I would work my way towards the Madison. My uncle and I stopped at least a dozen times on our way because we saw streams from the road, and there weren't any public land issues because you are in the Park. The only thing we had to worry about was bears.
    Where ever you go out there I am sure you guys will have a blast.
    Make sure to post some pictures of the trip.
    Have fun and be safe