Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hazel Creek

Default Other transportation across Fontana

Tom, Thanks for all of the outstanding information about Hazel Creek!

Does anyone know how much the marina charges for canoe and kayak rentals? It may be a better option if you want to do a short trip (overnight) and are going with one other person (assuming that the rental rate isn't too ridiculous...)

Has anyone paddled across Fontana to Hazel Creek? How long of a trip was it time-wise? Its looks to be about 5 miles. Eagle Creek looks like 3.75 mile and may be a better option for paddling, for an overnight trip.

Tom, I'm with Pete, thanks for the great information, especially on the campsites. When you've never been there it's tough to decide where to stay.

I don't know anything about the lake or the marina so maybe someone else can help with that. Thanks for all the information guys, now I just have to see if I can make it happen.

Here's the link to the marina. http://www.fontanavillage.com/marina/marina.htm Looks like you'll have to call them to get current pricing info. My recollection is that it was about a 20 minute ride for 2 + the driver in a bowrider... probably about a 90 hp engine running full bore. Don't think that's something I'd want to paddle.

I recall a post on the SEFFF several years ago about someone who had paddled it from Cable Cove. (http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/) You might do a search on that site and see if you can find it.

PeteCz

when i paddled from cable cove it took a little better tan 1.5 hours. we didnt feel the need to bust it right of the bat. the paddle out took about twice the time due to gale force winds coming across the lake. If the weather cooperates paddling is the way to go, beutiful scenery and no urgency to get off the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by old tom View Post

82 (Calhoun) is a very nice looking site, although I've never actually stood on it. It's can be seen from the trail, but way down a hill. Looks as though it has room for 4 or 5 tents, all level and well shaded.

Tom
    What? We left our day packs in the campsite when we we fished way upstream in 2004. Yer memory's not so hot anymore, Pop.

To add to what old tom said, Sugar Fork is one of the nicest campsites I think I've used in the park. Here it is in 2004:

Hazel is running by off to the left/background in this picture. Sugar Fork is off to the right and you camp in a little wedge just upstream of the confluence, if I remember correctly. Here's the water supply. Same sort of thing up at Bone Valley.

Bone Valley CG is nice and the creek is much larger than Sugar Fork. After a thunderstorm:

Bone Valley CG. The creek is just on the other side of the tent and flows down a short ways into Hazel. The campground is a lot more open than Sugar Fork, probably due to the increased popularity.

But if you're going to hike in, why not man it up and come in from Clingman's Dome? I prefer fishing up above Calhoun anyway.

If you ride the ferry in, How far is it to the first campsite from the ferry ride and what campsite is it?

jwebb541

The first campsite is at Proctor, I believe it is #86. It's half a mile or less from the drop off point.

Paula

Cool thanks!!