Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which rod

Default which rod

OK, I have 2 5wts, 1 4wt, and an 8wt. I want to buy a 2wt or 3wt. Which one should I buy? I think that my son would be able to use the 2wt. The two weight would offer me a more drastic change in what I have. I just want to know what you guys would do. I'm at least going to buy a reel before the end of the month.
    "The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing." Babylonian Proverb

Default 3 wt

Flying Trout,

I have a 2wt and a 3wt. They are both nice rods, but I think the 3wt is much more versatile. I would go with it.
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Trout View Post
    ... I'm at least going to buy a reel before the end of the month.
    Sounds like somebody some LRO gift cards for Christmas

If you're looking for a dedicated mountain rod that your son could also use on a variety of waters, I'd go with a 7 1/2' 3 wt. rod and match it up with an Orvis BBS II reel... better hurry before you don't have any pockets left

Gerry

Suggest consideration of a 7 or 7 1/2 foot, 3wt rod.
    For the reel, check the new Orvis BBS I.
    I have this reel on a 7foot, 3wt rod and it is great.

Default Hmmm....

Trout Bum (New Series) 3 wt....I'll let the rod speak for itself and I'll shut up now!

I have an FlyLogic FLO 803-3 for sale for $100 (retail $275). It was my go-to rod for the GSMNP until I snagged a Sage on sale at a fly show. Quite frankly, they cast equally well. The only difference was $$, and the Sage is a 4pc. If you're interested, let me know.

Don't forget, LRO is offering free wonderline with any BBS reel. that's a really good deal!

I'd go w/ a 3wt as well. 2wt's are fun, but the 3 is much more versatile.
    Trevor

I have a 2 wt and I love fishing dries with it but the 3 wt I have is more versatile for nymphs.

As for the BBS reels, I have a IV and a II and would recommend them for the price. With the line offer it is a very good deal.

Default 3wt

I have two 3wts. A7ft Diamondback for mtn streams. A 8ft9in Sage VPS Light for tailwater midgin' and dries. I have a Hardy old school featherweight reel. I understand the newer ones are not made in England. We will have to wait and see if these new ones will be 20 year reels.

I'm going to buy a bbs I this week since the line is free. I believe after the posts I have read I will go with a three weight. Thanks for all the help, now all I have to do is decide which one within what I am willing to spend.
    "The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing." Babylonian Proverb