Thread: Helios 905 Tip

Default Helios 905 Tip

Somehow or another, a 5 weight Helios followed me home in a tip flex this time. The 4 weight is a mid & all the fish feel huge on it.
    The 5 being a bit stiffer & faster still handeled the 6x & midges yesterday, dosen't weigh anything at all & the first two fish caught on it were brown's, looks like it's a keeper.

Grumpy

Grumpy, if you keep buy those things they are going to have to put you on the front on the orvis catalog.

Stickbait

Quote Originally Posted by stickbait View Post
    Grumpy, if you keep buy those things they are going to have to put you on the front on the orvis catalog.

Stickbait
    I just don't see Grumpy as the archetypical Orvis model. I respect the way he endorses the product he sells, and know that he can fish/cast circles around most of the Orvis posers! The 'mojo' ain't in the product though...its in the hands of the adept fisherman! Those Helios 905-tip rods are feathers with power for sure! Nice to hear they protect light tippet.

aa
    2Timothy2:15

Default Played with a 905 mid-flex

I fished last Friday on the South Holston with a friend who showed up with a 905 mid-flex Helios. I played with it for a little while in a pretty serious wind and I have to say I was seriously impressed. And by the way, I'm not a huge orvis rod fan, I fish a winston biix. On that particular day, I would have traded my 8' 6" 5wt. for his 905 Helios. Pretty cool rod.
    Incidentally, the fishing on the South Holston was pretty tough that day. I did manage a very nice 18-19" rainbow along with a few more decent fish.

Well stickbait & aa, i may have to check into that picture being mine is no longer in the post office

Mtnmike, a 18-19" fish feels pretty good on any rod dosen't it , i'd like to try a mid flex in the 5, i have a mid in the 4 weight, not to shabby in the wind.
    I take that back, i don't need to try anymore Helios rods unless it's a 3 or 9 weight
    I thought i was pretty much done buying fly rods when i got a ZG, I resisted the BII, tough to do, Orvis has really got their act together in the last 5-6 years with their rod technology. I still wish they had left the old Superfines alone, a lot of folks like the newer ones though.

Grumpy

Maybe Grumpy would be the perfect "Poster Child" for the Helios and the Orvis Company. He gets my vote. All we have to do is convince Tom Rosenbauer.

Grumpy, you might need to move to Manchester. The traffic pace is a little different there compared to Nashville.

Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
    Maybe Grumpy would be the perfect "Poster Child" for the Helios and the Orvis Company. He gets my vote. All we have to do is convince Tom Rosenbauer.

Grumpy, you might need to move to Manchester. The traffic pace is a little different there compared to Nashville.

Byron
    Byron

I don't think, well i know i couldn't live anywhere that i couldn't fish year round, someone would expect me to be a model citizen, responsible or something scary like that

Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Byron

I don't think, well i know i couldn't live anywhere that i couldn't fish year round, someone would expect me to be a model citizen, responsible or something scary like that

Grumpy

BWAH HA HA HA!

Just sayin.

Paula