Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Steelhead

Default Michigan Steelhead

How late into the spring is there decent steelhead fishing in the streams in Michigan? I.e., is it all done by Feb or March?

I'm thinking maybe the Manistee, the Muskegon or the PM.

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Steve:

I have fished there as late as mid-April and still encountered the steelheads in the streams. It's also pretty good fishing in August in Lake Michigan once the steelheads and kings have made their runs, though you can't fly fish.

Kytroutman -

Thanks much. I may have a chance to combine a business trip with some fishing, and would seem that the later the better, as far as weather goes. Long as there's still fish in the crick, of course.

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Default Michigan Steelhead

Steve couple of outfitters on the subject.
    Schmidt Oufitters (wellston I think)
    Gray Drake (www.graydrake.com)
    Dustan Harley (www.rippleguideservice.com).
    Have fished with Gray Drake and Ripple, would recommend both. Fished with both on the Muskegon.
    I understand the St. Joe fishes well in the Spring as well as the Muskegon and Manistee and Little Manistee.
    Best,
    John

Default Michigan

The steelhead can still be caught into April, but it really starts to slow down by mid-April. I can suggest Schmidt Outfitters. The guides are all first class. Ray Schmidt is a great guy. I recommend a guide by the name of Larry. By the way, they fish mainly on the Manistee, but also some of the smaller rivers around like the Pine, Bear and Little Manistee. Enjoy.
    Chris McCarthy

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    - Henry David Thoreau

There's not but one way to find out for sure I've been itching to go for the last 4 months.

Default Michigan Steel

You will want to watch it closely this year. They are predicting a big run and with winter holding on like it is it will probably linger based on weather and numbers of fish. It is normally over by mid-April but should hold on this year and some streams are later than others. The PM is my favorite stream but the MO and Manistee get good runs as well.

Chuck

Last edited by Paula Begley; 03-11-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: removed website link

Sweepercts,

I have looked at every page of your new blog. It looks great. However I have a couple of suggestions that might prove to be beneficial to you. I couldn't find your contact information on the site so please e-mail me as soon as possible.

Byron Begley
    Owner
    Little River Outfitters

Does the PM have a fall run? Say, middle of Sept.?

Default Fall run

As I recall, we fished the king run in Sept about 20 yrs ago. The steelhead were just coming in then, but the kings were strong.

sb