Thread: The Haystack

Default The Haystack

Hello all:

I'm looking for anyone with info on the Haystack dry fly style . I've seen some recipes tied with elk hair or fine comparadun deer hair. It looks like it comes in different color shades? It looks like the fly was invented by a Francis Betters in NY. Does anyone around here fish with it?
    Last edited by tennswede; 02-06-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: More facts came to light.

I've tied them for BWO's in the park, and have used one as a sulphur on the soho once. I didn't know it was a haystack, I thought I was just tying a sparkle dun without zelon. they float nicely. in my limited experience, getting the right hair is key.
    Trevor

Trevor!

About what I thought they will do. Anyway, do you feel comparadun deer hair or elk is best?

I always use deer hair
    Trevor

Thank you!

They also make great indicator flys when tyed with bleached elk hair and a visible color dubbing like orange! If I were tying one to imitate a hatch, i would go sparser on the tail than the original like patterns you will find. The fly was designed for fishing choppy pocket water and riffles and floats extremely well.

aa
    2Timothy2:15