Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Book?

jim, it was frome that i met,
    I started with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    www.angelfire.com/film/samsfotosafari

I really like "A Peach Tree in an Apple Orchard" Has me laughing whenever I read it.

Default New book from Middleton

Has anyone read the new Harry Middleton book recently published? I have read all of his others and wondered if there would ever be a collection of unpublished works.

Actually, I take that back - I have never read the Starlight Creek Angling Society. Have never been able to find a copy reasonably priced. But wait... here's one http://www.amazon.com/Starlight-Cree.../dp/B0006F0AWC

adirondack46r--Although I haven't read the new anthology of Middleton material edited by Ron Ellis, I'll offer a couple of thoughts. I'm pretty sure all the material in the anthology is of a published nature--his old columns for Southern Living, magazine articles, etc. I don't know that there would be enough unpublished material for a book, but what might be a possibility would be a collection of his letters. He was an avid and wonderfully expressive correspondent. I have a thick file of letters from him, I know he also corresponded regularly with Nick Lyons, and I suspect there are others with whom he exchanged letters and who had the foresight to save them. The new book is edited by Ron Ellis, and being familiar with his other efforts I have no doubt whatsoever it will be first-rate.
    If you (or others) want to send me an e-mail address, I'll share a column I'll be writing for Sporting Classics on the new anthology and my friendship with Harry in advance of its appearance.
    Interestingly enough, while in attendance at the Southeast Conclave of the FFF at Unicoi State Park this past weekend in Georgia, I had the pleasure of talking with a couple of fellows from the Birmingham area who were enchanted with Harry's literary endeavors. I read or encounter enough folks like them to tell me there is a small Middleton cult out there.
    As for The Starlight Angling Society, it is extremely rare and cherished, and it's highly unlikely any copy will sell for a price south of four figures.
    Finally, to return for a moment to the FFF Conclave, it was by all accounts the most successful in many years. I know my seminars were very well attended, those of Gary Borger drew the sort or response you would expect, and Anthony Hipp (FFF SE president) and those helping him did a grand job. The location was a great one, and the Conclave will be back in Helen the first Friday and Saturday in June next year. I'd recommend thinking about attending. I know I was most pleasantly surprised, and it was a far cry from the nature of things when I last attended and spoke to the group at Callaway Gardens several years ago.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Gierach's books are my favorites with Trout Bum, Rat Lake and Sex, Death and Flyfishing being way up there. Also anything by Nick Lyons....
    Ted Leeson's The Habit of Rivers is also very good and if you can get by some of Schwiebert's stuffiness, his obsession with detail often paints vivid and beautiful pictures.

Default book

For me,Harry Middleton's "On the Spine of Time".I suppose Middleton had his share of problems,I think Jim Casada knew him,would be interested to know what Jim thought of him.Middleton was a great writer,maybe one of the best ever.

I'll second anything by Nick Lyons.
    www.owljones.com - OwlJones.com - The Internet's Only "Fishertainment" Website

Lauxier and Owl--I knew Harry Middleton quite well and in fact I'm working on a piece on him for Sporting Classics right now. Nick Lyons was a good friend of Harry's as well, and for Harry, as for so many others including yours truly, he has been a mentor, a helper, and a source of encouragement. He wrote the introductory material for my book on the Smokies and gave me some invaluable advice while it was being crafted. In addition to being a splendid writer, he is the quintessential gentleman.
    Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
    P. S. At some point maybe I'll do something on Harry for Byron's newsletter. I have a thick file of letters from him, and they read just as well as his splendid books.

If you could use that correspondence to generate columns that would be really great!!!

Default favorite fly fishing books - fiction

I would second the recommendations of several here for the Travers Corners series by Scott Waldie. I'm also a fan of Gierach and Babb!

But one of my favorite books that I have read, and plan on rereading, is Pale Morning Done by Jeff Hull. He has established himself as a wonderful story teller, and the fly fishing in the story makes you want to hope in the car and point it toward Montana.
    Last edited by flyfishsim; 06-25-2010 at 03:27 PM.