Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Negatives????

Default Kayak Negatives????

I'm thinking of selling my boat (12' Lund w/electric only) and buying a kayak. I have read a ton as to their positve points, but what are the drawbacks? Also, what tips can you yakkers give me about buying a yak? Length? Beam? Equipment I shouldn't leave the shop without? Anything would be welcome. Thanks!
    To Miss Nancy - she hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

I fish from an inflatable kayak on rivers and lakes. It has a lot of positive points but a few drawbacks as well.
    1. Harder to cast from a sitting position with legs in front of you.
    2. you are constantly trying to control the boat direction and cast at the same time.
    3. cannot anchor down in high or really fast moving water like a drift boat or raft.

I would not go less than 12ft in length on any boat. My yaks width is 39". It is very stable but you still cannot stand up.
    If I ever trade up, I would get an inflatable 12ft raft and fishing frame. A friend just bought one used and can go anywhere that I can in the yak with more comfort and fishability. If I only planned on fishing alone all the time, a personal pontoon that I could row or motor(troll motor) with the ability to stand and cast would be my next choice.

Default Thinking about a Yak myself...

I just received some info on Nucanoe www.nucanoe.com and am waiting on some info from www.freedomhawkkayaks.com

The nucanoe adventurer model is 12' with a 42"beam looks very interesting around $600 or $700 I think.
    The freedom hawk is a 14' with two lever operated outriggers that "Y" out from the stern for stability...this one looks pretty expensive though MSRP @ $1895.

May be able to get a used flat's skiff for that

Default Sorry...check that last post

Did some checking...the Nucanoe lists for over a grand as well.. too rich or my blood. Sorry to mis-lead you

Default kayaks

Rick,
    If you are fly fishing from it I would go with the Freedom Hawk that was mentioned. Ability to stand up and cast and also has an anchor system. They are expensive, but they are definitely state of the art for fly fishing yaks. The outriggers come off for ease of transport if needed also.

Tellico Angler,

I went on your website briefly but I can't figure out who you are. I thought I knew all the guides in our region. Anyway, I'm glad to see people guiding for smallmouth bass near here. That is an overlooked resource here in East Tennessee. I'll look into the kayaks you chose. We are looking to buy two for use on the Little River and the flats.

Byron

Talking Kayaks on the Flats!

What are you going to do when that 10' bull shark comes cruising down the flat? Kayaks to look like alot of fun.
    Tight lines,
    John,

Cool

John...I said the exact same thing!

Paula

in regards to the bull shark....it's kinda like bear.....ya only have to be a little bit faster than the slowest person.....But I believe Byron would be the gentleman and lag behind

seriously, sharks scare me.......I was at TinkerBell Island (thats what my ft meyers buddy calls SanaBell Island) and saw some fins which caused me to walk on water. My buddy said it was only dolphins to which I replied " I believe I'll enjoy the DOLPHINS from the beach".........

buckeyetrouter

Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

Thanks, buckeye, really...thanks. That picture was so reassuring.

Paula