Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE
Default Backpacking/Flyfishing

I am interested in taking a backpacking/flyfishing trip this coming week. Could any one give me information on where the best place to fish and camp would be?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 01:41 PM

That's a tough question to answer without some specifics from you. Maybe you should let us know what kind of water you like to fish and what you are looking for in a trip (ex: long walk, brookie fishing on a tight stream, etc.). Just give us an idea of what you're looking for and i'll throw some suggestions out there.

Craig
Old 03-16-2008, 02:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

I am looking for a moderate hike (2-4 miles). Any kind of fishing will be ok, brookie, rainbow or brown. Not an extremely tight stream. I will be fishing for an hour or so on the way in and for several hours the following day and then hike out.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Choices, choices, choices...

Assuming you are interested in backcountry camping and based on your preferences and my limited experience I would recommend these sites, in the following order:

1) Campsite 24 on Little River Trail. Its an easy 4.2 mile hike with lots of fishing options on LR and good elbow room for casting.

2) Campsite 60 on Deep Creek Trail. Its an easier 2.5 mile hike from Deep Creek Rd on Deep Creek. Again, its good fishing and open space to cast in.

3) Campsite 65 on Noland Creek Trail. Its the easiest hike of the three at 1.3 miles from Lakeshore Drive. The stream is a bit smaller than LR and Deep Creek so there is a bit less casting room, and I haven't had tremendous luck catching fish on Noland Creek.

Here are a few more options that I know a bit less about:
1) Campsite 93 on Twentymile Creek Trail. Its 1.8 miles to the campsite. The stream is about the same size as Noland Creek, but seems to have more casting room.

2) Campsite 50 on Chasteen Creek Trail. Its 1.1 miles from the Smokemont campground. Have never fished there, so I'm not sure what the stream looks like, or how well it fishes...

3) Campsites 39 or 40 are both less than 2 miles form Cataloochee rd. They are both above 3000 feet, so they may be a bit cold this coming weekend. I have not fished either site...

There are a few other folks that will probably jump in as well thyat have more extensive experience. Good luck! Let us know where you go, and of course take pictures and post a report when you get back...
Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 PM

Default tight stream

Is a "tight stream" one of those streams that is so narrow you can only cast up and down but not from side to side?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:46 PM

To me a tight stream has little, or sometimes no, backcast space and requires planning on how you will even get the fly into the spot you want...roll cast, flip cast, bow and arrow...

Also, any small stream with lots of rhododendron that overhang it, would qualify as tight casting in my book

A couple examples of tight streams would be Road Prong and the West Prong of the Little River [above campsite 18]. While I haven't fished it, from what ijsouth says about cosby creek, above the campground probably qualifies as a tight stream. In fact, most brookie streams seem to be tight casting conditions...

To me, even though Tremont is not as large as some of the other streams in the park, it doesn't feel like a tight stream, but there also aren't many spots that you can get full backcasts, so other peoples definitions may vary.

I like the challenge of tight streams. I can't really explain why...

Last edited by PeteCz; 03-17-2008 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: 18) turned into a smilie face...sorry...