Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 PM

Default Bad day, good day

I started the day by realizing I lost my drivers license. I ALWAYS put it in a zippered pocket when I fish. Almost always. Spent half the day looking for it and finally gave up.

Started fishing above Tremont about 1:30. The wind kept getting worse and worse. I have never had a fly blow around like today. I got my 6 wt rod out and kept trying. Finally caught a rainbow on the fly, missed a couple more. Switched to nymphs, obviously I still haven't mastered THAT, caught zero.

Decided to try the creek by the road to Cades Cove, that is Laurel, isn't it? I fished it very little last year because it was so terribly low most of the time. Plenty of water now. I had tried a lot of different flies and nymphs when I remembered I had the Yellow Thingeys that Don Winn tied for me. Put on the yellow foam one and caught 2 rainbow! One was nice enough to make me smile.

Don, the foam yellow thingey saved the day! After losing another fish, I hung it in a tree and broke it off. I managed to knock it loose and grab it before it floated away. Not only are the thingeys effective but they have a boomarang quality! Maybe you should think PATENT.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:07 AM

Sounds like a typical day fishing the park who needs a drivers license to fish anyway

Grumpy
Old 03-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Flies

Barbara,

Glad you caught some fish. Those flies, along with the others should do even better as the water warms up. Sorry about the license. Hope you found it in the vehicle later.

I was up in your area a few weeks ago. My son had his masters degree music recital. It was cold and snowy. I got a ticket, but the campus police were so nice and abated the fee.

Is the fly shop still open up there?

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 PM

Don,

There is a fly shop downtown in the Civic Center, where Rupp Arena is. The Sporting Tradition, an Orvis shop. They are nice people. I was reading the posts about folks going into western fly shops and being treated poorly. The Sporting Tradition was the first fly shop I went to and they were very nice. I didn't know enough to even ask the right questions but if they were laughing they were polite enough to let me leave before they let go!

How much longer will your son be at UK?

Barbara
Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Default Uk

Barbara,

He will be graduating in May. Then, he will be an instructor in the Madison Scouts drum and bugle corps for the summer. After that, who knows? He hopes to find a teaching job somewhere within 2-3 hours of his girlfriend who is in graduate school at Southern Mississippi.

Glad the shop is still there. It is kind of a hobby for me to check out fly shops in cities that I travel to. I have been in a lot of fly shops over the years, but I never get tired of browsing.

Don't worry LRO guys - I always spend my big bucks in your shop.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:26 AM

Default nice people

Some of you may know I lost my driver's license 3/17 on my last fishing trip. Yesterday I got it back, sent in a park service "Official Business" envelope with a note reading "found in Park on 3/21/08". No name on the note so I do not know who found it or who sent it.

Isn't it nice to know that someone was good enough to take the license to a park employee (or maybe the park employee found it) and the park person was kind enough to mail it to me?! There are still some good people in this world and to whoever found/mailed the license;

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! May your kindness return to you tenfold.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:28 PM

Default lost license

Barb's story reminds me of my own experience in 2000. I was fishing for smallmouth in Beaver Creek, in N.E. Ohio. While walking along the bank I saw a ring in the water. I picked it up and upon examination discovered it was a class ring from a nearby high school, class of 1975. The next day i called the high school. The color of the stone told them it was a man's ring and the initials were readable inside the band. They were pretty sure they could find the owner. I sent them the ring and about a month later got a call from a fellow in Columbus, Ohio. He thanked me for finding his ring that he had lost while hiking along the stream...25 years earlier! He sent me a gift certificate to Red Lobster.