Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-19-2008, 03:34 PM

Default "Yuppie Fly Fisherman"

I have a good friend of mine who I am trying to convince to start fly fishing with me. He is a avid spinner fisherman , which is perfectly fine with me. I do give him a hard time sometimes by telling him how much he would enjoy fly fishing over the spinning method. He says he just doesn't like the "yuppie" attitude of the fly fisherman he has encountered. He believes when he goes into some of the fly shops with me that the people there talk down too him. I got to thinking about this and was wondering, am I a so called "yuppie". Although I think its crazy that there are $700 waders and $800 reels, I don't mind dropping good money for quality products. I have over $500 invested in my rood and reel together and absolutely love them. They are guaranteed for life, so why not spend a little extra. He thinks spending this money is crazy. Well anyways I just thought this was a funny subject and want to see what other fellow fly fisherman thought?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:51 PM

Sure there are "yuppie snobs" in fly fishing. Just like there are "redneck jerks" in bass spinner and baitcast fishing. That does not mean all bass fishermen are redneck jerks any more than it means all fly fishermen are "yuppie snobs".

There are sterotypes for nearly all aspects of the sport with people who use worms and minnows being somewhere toward the bottom in the respect hierarchy. It does not mean that all or even a significant number of peopple fit that description, but some do and they stand out and therefore become what others tend to see and key in on.

With that off of my chest, I better finish my double mocha latte before I get in my 5 series and drive off. I wouldn't want to spill any on the seats or stain my khakis.

Jeff
Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Jeff! Funny stuff ...

I guess I'm a redneck hybrid; a product of Sevier County, so red by proxy. You know, acting for that "other" in me. That comes out in me when I am grabbed by family and made to sit in a john boat and fish sauger, walleye, or bass. I like it a lot, but it's not a day wading the Clinch or hiking in the GSMNP. I like to move and enjoy the scenery and not worry about falling overboard when relieving myself. Anyway, the given is I would fly fish anywhere, and spin fish when family time comes. But I guess I'm lucky since the same people who drag me off spinning are the same who I drag fly fishing ...

By the way, my job forces me to "look the part." Therefore I have a few shirts with little crocodiles on them even some nice flat fronts by old Ralph. I guess what further seperates me from THAT pack is I buy clearance at the outlets during the off season.

James
Old 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Flyfishing has its share of "yuppies", but I think the issue is more with attitudes than "yuppie-ness". I started flyfishing in Colorado, and almost gave it up because of the attitude in most fly shops that I went into, out there. It was very elitist and that attitude made it hard for a beginner to ask questions and get started.

I think that this part of the country has much less of the elitism of other areas, but it does exist. However, if we look at it honestly, I think its really a society wide issues ranging across all pursuits, not just flyfishing. You can find it in all sports and hobbies.

I flyfish, not because I think I'm better than spincasters, but because I like the method better. I don't nymph fish all that much for the same reason. Could I catch more and larger fish? Of course. But I like watching a fish rise to inspect a fly more than just the catching part.

As for pricing of equipment, I can see where your friend is going with that point. But they don't have to spend a great deal of money if they don't want to. They could get a completely serviceable setup for less than $200 (including rod, reel, line, flies and some gadgets). The same pricing issue applies to almost everything. Look at cars. You could spend a lot or a little to transport yourself around, it all depends on what you feel comfortable spending, no makes you buy an expensive car...including a 3 series. Of course you shouldn't ask me, I drive a 92 Ford Explorer and my wife drives a Volvo...what do I know.

I'm with Jimmy as well. My brother is a huge redneck, but he lives in Buffalo. I have a few Polo button down shirts, but I bought them on clearance. I hate Starbucks...Of course you shouldn't ask me, I drive a 92 Ford Explorer and my wife drives a Volvo...what do I know...
Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM

If you are fishing for Bass from a boat, you have more $ in your equipment than I do, and I'm talking about an aluminum jonboat-- not to mention what some of these bass boats cost ya'.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:42 PM

I don't pull in enough coin to be a yuppie lol. Just ask Bill at LOR. He had to dig through the warehouse to find a set of waders that I could afford! (Or at least that I was willing to buy). To me, fly fishing is the opposite of yuppiness (I think I just made up a word). In reality, you can buy a combo, a fly box and some flies and a decent set of boots and a vest and you are set for around $200. If you can't stand the cold water, a cheap set of waders is around $120. Not exactly big money. I have had great expereinces in fly shops in Nashville and I definitely had a great expereince at Little River Outfitters. They were VERY nice and helpful and when it was obvious that I was trying to work within a budget, they weren't snobby about it at all...I mean not in the least. Why would a person that stands in the middle of a river or stream trying to catch a fish be a snob? I could see it if it involved making deals on Wall Street or playing Pebble Beach, but this is FISHING for Pete's sake lol! Just my thoughts on the subject.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:23 PM

Well, me and the hubby definitely would not be considered yuppies. Blue collar jobs and living in a doublewide in Cosby is pretty non yuppie. I have met the type that you are talking about though. The ones with the "attitude" But having more $$ to spend on gear don't make them better fishermen. That takes skill and the cost of that is practice and dedication.

I think people like that have that kind of snob attitude in whatever they do, be it fly fishing or anything else. They are missing the real beauty of the sport.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFLY View Post
He says he just doesn't like the "yuppie" attitude of the fly fisherman he has encountered. He believes when he goes into some of the fly shops with me that the people there talk down too him.
Not that it applies to the context of this particular discussion, but "Yuppie" is actually a Socio-economic anagram used to describe Young Urban Professionals. Likewise, a "Dink" describes a working couple with no kids
(i.e. Double Income No Kids)

Just thought I'd throw that in...since I might be defined as a "Yuppie".....OK maybe except for the "young" part.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 AM

I have the best equipment, waders, rods/reels, i'm broke, i'm not a yuppie, I CATCH FISH

Grumpy
Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Does anyone on here have the Simms waders that cost $700? I just want to know what a pair of waders that expensive feel like. lol. I figure I might try on a pair one day just to see...