Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-23-2008, 08:27 PM

Default grizzley man

Just when I thought I had seen it all,I watched Herzog's Documentary film --Grizzley Man---the story of T. Treadwell and grizzley bears in Alaska--Treadwell along with his girlfriend were eventually attacked,killed and eaten by a grizzley bear--T.T. tries his best to humanize the bears--could not decide if he wanted to be a bear or the bears to be like him--anyway 'the point is, no matter how much he tries to intellectualize the grizzley bear, the dull eyes of the beast shows through--which is the lesson to be learned from "Grizzley Man" and that lesson appplies to the black bears of GSMNP-don't trust them-they are not cartoon characters--if a bear approaches you with its head down and begins to circle you quietly,get ready--I know there is a 1 in a million chance of this happening,but remember bears are canine,most people are careful around strange dogs especially if they are one of the larger breeds--bears should be treated with the same care.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 PM

You bring up a very good point. Especially with more and more people heading into the backcountry as the weather warms up.

I know this has been shown a hundred times but I love this video....http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47009315039035
Old 03-23-2008, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

The National Geographic show on bears that I mentioned in another thread, ranked bears according to their individual strengths by type/breed. The Polar bear's greatest strength or asset is its incredible sense of smell - sometimes with an effective range of nearly 100 miles. The Grizzly bear's greatest asset is its sheer size and massive musculature. The Black bear's greatest asset is its stealth. Most folks never know how close they really are.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Or just throw a rock and bonk one in the head when it gets too close. Not advisable when dealing with grizzlies.