Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Default Any Stream will do

Ok I am going crazy sitting here at the office thinking about the weather getting better and all the streams and trails I have been reading about on this site. I thought I would go ahead and get some more story telling started. The streams I have been reading about that interest me have been the horse shoe at Abrams, above the campground at Elkmont, and above the picnic area at Chimney Tops.
I have fished Chimney Tops but not the others. Have not heard much talk about Tremont.
Planning on leaving this office for a good 5 days in about a week to Hazel, but am already thinking about the second fishing trip before I finish the first one of the year. Anyone have any comments on my next stream out of the ones listed above.

P.S
Sometime I do get some work done at the office.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM

Where are you staying at hazel? That should be a good trip and it looks like the weather is gonna turn out just in time for you.

As far as your next trip goes, i would choose above elkmont, but i would choose way above elkmont. The section right above the campground gets significant pressure for obvious reasons, but i would love to go up high to fish camp prong, rough creek, and goshen prong. Campsite 23 looks to be a prime site in my eyes, i mean just look at all those feeder streams at your disposal!!! Just my .02 though, so take it for what it's worth, but that would be my pick if i had to pick out of those choices. Of course, there are many other options as well.........

Craig
Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 PM

If you are going camping...23, 24 or 30. Its hard to go wrong with any of those sites. Close behind would be Deep Creek.

If you are looking at a day trip, my favorite is the Gorge section of the WPLP (but don't tell anybody......)

Tremont is close and the horseshoe is famous, but I haven't enjoyed either as much as the other places (of course I had my flyrod stepped on and broken by one of my fishing "buddies", so I only fished the first 1/3 of the 'shoe last year during the drought - Steve, I love repeating that story....)

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM

Pete:

How do you get into the gorge section of the WPLP? I fished at the Chimey Tops trailhead but never in the gorge.

Thanks!

Daniel
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM

Daniel, the easiest way is to use two cars. Park one at the Chimney Tops Trail Parking and then drive down to the "Nature exhibit" parking area about a mile below the Chimney Tops Trail Parking Area. You could also park at the picnic area, but that would be a much longer trek through the gorge...From the Nature exhibit just walk down one of the paths to the stream and fish up stream until you come to the confluence of Walker Camp Prong and Road Prong (the two bridges).

If you are by yourself (highly un-recommended!) or just have one car, my usual method is to park at the Nature exhibit, walk down to the stream and then fish either up to the bridges and then walk back to your car (through the tunnel, on the ledge), or fish until you hear the car horns close by (and can see the tops of cars) and scramble up the hillside and to the left to make it up in front of the tunnel (and avoid the walk through the tunnel).

If you go early enough, you could also park at the Chimney Tops TH Parking area and walk down through the tunnel (on the ledge, of course) before too many yahoos come through there honking their horns (or riding on motorcycles). I can tell you from experience, walking on the ledge in a dark tunnel when someone honks the horn is a bit unnerving. Actually walking on the ledge with any traffic is a bit unnerving, whether they are honking their horns or not.

Also, there is some very good water that gets maybe even less pressure, below the gorge (below the picnic area).

Whatever you decide, be careful and take your time boulder hopping. You can do yourself some serious damage climbing through there...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM

Thank Pete. Very helpful stuff. Have you ever fished any part of the WPLP below that? I guess the only want to get there is the Sugarland trail? Every time I drive past it wondering, how in the world one gets down there makes me think, if no one gets down there, then I bet the fishing is great.

Daniel