Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Default Need Some Help

We will be going to Pigeon Forge next Thursday for a family camping trip. My brother in law and I will be able to get away for some fishing in the park for a day/possibly two. He has a bum knee that will cause him to have surgery after the trip, so long hikes or rock hopping are out. Can anyone give any guidance on some fairly easy to access streams in the park to fish? Any help on flies during this time would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

KPOJ
Old 03-29-2008, 08:58 PM

KPOJ-
If you are needing to stay close to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg you can fish along the road between PF and Gatlinburg also called the "spur". They stock that part of the river during the summer months and there is usually some decent fishing with easy access along that stretch. If you get into the mountains you can drive from GB over to townsend and stop anywhere along the way that you see water. If you fish in Gatlinburg make sure you get your day permit before fishing.
You can also search this forum to see what other people have said in the past for fishing spots.

As for flies to use... I would use what Byron recommends on the fishing report. You can also call the shop once your down here, better yet drive over to Townsend and check out the shop and give them your support. They will be able to help you with what the fish are rising to.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your trip and make sure you post some pictures of your catch.
-Ben
Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 PM

If you don't mind a bit of a drive over the mountains, I would recommend Straight Fork; there's road access for several miles of stream, and it's not super-high gradient. There are a lot of spots that you can get a cast off without getting in the water. As for flies, if you had to go with one pattern, it would be the old reliable...Parachute Adams; get some in size #12 for the quill gordons, and a few in the smaller sizes for the other mayflies.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:40 AM

I've always seen people fishing the spur and have wanted to myself. Do you need a gburg permit to fish there?

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 03-30-2008, 01:47 PM

You don't need a GB license to fish the spur. Once you get into GB then you will need one. The GB visitor center on the right before you get into town sells the permits, and they will show you were you will need one.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

above gnatty branch on the spur you need a g'burg permit, trout stamp and valid tn license
Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks for all the help. We did fish the Little River on Friday. We were in the section a few miles on from Elkmont. We got humbled pretty good. I got a few hits, but the smell of skunk was too strong to overcome. My brother in law caught a small brown. We stilll had lot's of fun and plan to do it again. Lot's of great scenery.

KPOJ