Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Default FF Tournaments in the Park?

Im just wondering if there are ever any FF tournaments held in the park? Also if one was to be held would there be any angler participation?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:25 AM

Default Competition Fly Fishing

Don't know of any ever happening inside the park. Honestly, I hope there never is any either. I quit bass fishing on the local lakes because of the never ending tournaments going on. The competition brings out the rudeness in people. I feel like FF is supposed to be relaxing and a non competitive sport. There was a FF tourney recently over on the Davidson river in NC on the private water section but I don't think I would ever participate in any fishing competitions other than light hearted ribbing between fishing buddies. How does everyone else feel about this subject? Do you want to see more FF competitions on your local waters?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 AM

Troutman,
I, for one, wouldn't care anything about it. I did see a trout rodeo type of thing a few years ago in Pigeon Forge. They weighed in at Patriot Park. I just think we have enough competition in every other area of life, leave the fishing alone, particularly the Fly Fishing.--Bran
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 AM

I wouldn't be in favor of it in the Park, just doesn't seem to fit well with that area to me. I agree with opinion that there is enough competition in life as it is, like many of us I flyfish for relaxation, and the chance to enjoy the great outdoors. I don't even keep track of how many fish I catch, especially after I run out of fingers, LOL. Seems like the tailwaters are a better place for FF competions.

Neal
Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 AM

I saw a tournament on Outdoor Channel or some such -- one of the Rajeff's was in it and the locales were cool. But I feel pretty strongly that there's no place for competitive fly fishing. I'm not even much on counting fish.

sb
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 AM

Default Wrong Place, Wrong Fish

I would be against it, and I suspect the Park Service would be too, because trout just aren't built for that type of handling and pressure. Bass, etc are more rugged; no problem chucking them in a livewell for a while before weighing them. The ones that I've seen on TV involving trout were measured on the spot before being released, but it was still a lot of handling, and it wasn't that many fishermen involved.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was just trying to get a census on what people thought about it, there was an idea within our student chapter of the American fisheries society to have one so that we could raise money. They had discussed that no fish would of been taken from the park, just record largest fish, like they do in the FF world championships. But I do feel the same way, theres enough hooligans running around the park.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Thumbs down Transporting Fish

With all the new gadgets and science and when I have seen on TV how black bass are handled during tournaments why do fish have to be brought back to the dock to be weighed? Could not the weight be recorded at the time of the catch? This has to take a toll on any fish treated this way. Does anyone know of any truthful stats of survival rates?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Default Gatlinburg Tourney?

I was talking to a guy that asked me if I was fishing in the tournament in Gatlinburg the 5th and 6th of this month. I hadn't heard of it. He said they stock so-many thousand trout and have a two day tournament with limit weigh ins and all. Some fish get "tagged" with certain prizes. I was out of town this weekend, did it happen?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM

I was walking around the Fly Fishing Show East a month or so ago and this young gal at the NC wildlife resource booth asked if I fly fished...I almost said duhhhhh, it's a fly fishing show. But, i said yes and she asked if I'd ever consider being in a FF competition (I knew where she was going since it was just prior to the Davidson/Pisgah thing).

I said, YES, it's me vs. that dang finicky trout everytime I go out!