Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Default Trip Planning...

Just realized yesterday that the first weekend in May is going to be here in a couple of weeks. As such, I need to get a plan in place. Cabin is secured, one buddy is in, another is still on the fence. Okay, time to make a plan of attack. We are staying in Townsend (BTW....if any of you see a fire at cabin number 7 at Little River Campgrounds....that's the one right on the bank of the Little....May 1 - 3, that's me and my buds. Stop in and say hey). So, I'm sure we hit some pools on the Little Thursday. Abram's on Friday (before the crowds). Now, here is the thing: I was giving some thought to trying a NC stream on Saturday. Any recommendations? I obviously would prefer one that is fairly easy to get to, or at least as easy as it can be from Townsend. I've never fished the NC side so I am curious. I've heard there are better fish, but there are always better fish where you aren't. Of course, with gas where it is I may not be able to afford to drive over to NC . On a side note, that is playing a major factor in trip plans this year. Never thought I'd see the day. Anyway, if someone could chime in on the merits of driving over to NC I would really appreciate it.

Hopefully I can get some pics of the trip and post. I still am not clear on how everyone does that.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM

In order to post on this site with pictures, here are some handy, dandy tips.
  1. Host your picture on a site, such as www.photobucket.com. In order to do this, go to the site and create an account (it is free). While in photobucket (or any similar site), upload your picture from your computer into photobucket. (It is always nice, though not absolutely necessary, to resize your picture to 75%. This makes loading and viewing easier for all. There is a box that allows this resizing of the photo right there with the photo in photobucket.)
  2. You will be provided with 3 addresses under the photo when it is loaded in photobucket. Copy the url address of the image.
  3. Come to the post here where you wish to post the picture.
  4. Press on the icon above that has the picture of mountains. (In order to see the icons you must have your user set up to do so. If you do not see the icons, go to your user profile by clicking on "User CP" from the message board home page. Go to "edit options" and click, scroll down the page to "Message Editor Interface", you will need to select "Enhanced Interface-Full WYSIWYG Editing", then save your changes. Now you should be able to see the icons in your posting box.)
  5. It will prompt you to insert the url address you just copied. Paste the url address there.
  6. Your image should appear in your post.
If you have any questions, pm or email or call (865/448-9459) Paula.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Greg, if you're in Townsend, there's more than enough water to occupy your time woth all the Prongs of the Little River and with Abrams within reach...though an easy stretch for NC is to head over the main drag of hiway 441 to NC and fish the Oconaluftee river which is all NC down the road and is easy access with a couple of nice streams that empty into it that can give you a little solitude with a small walk upstream, great fishing either way and the only issue may be traffic to and from...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM

Every time the subject of a N.C. stream comes up, I have to make the same recommendation - Straight Fork. It is such a versitile stream, in the sense that it has a little of everything, including all three species in abundance. It has excellent road access for several miles, and I find it to be fairly easy to fish. Now, it does involve a bit of driving; you have to get on Big Cove Road in the Cherokee Reservation and go through the reservation for several miles until you reach the park boundary. Once there, you have about 6 miles of stream right along the road.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

and as soon a you enter straightfork, park, walk up the steep bank....cemetery.....another up an obscure manway about a mile in....
lil history for ya
Old 04-17-2008, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default straight fork

and absolutely no fish whatsoever...none
Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

nope, but history of the area. that's really an important part of appreciating the park and all you get free
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM

Sam,

Your posts on park history are so interesting. I wish you would write a book!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
and as soon a you enter straightfork, park, walk up the steep bank....cemetery.....another up an obscure manway about a mile in....
lil history for ya

I'm not following what you are saying. Go up a bank to a cemetery and then what?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I'm not following what you are saying. Go up a bank to a cemetery and then what?
Look at it. It's a piece of history from the region.