Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Green Drakes

Byron's fishing report today got me thinking about all the stories I have heard about legendary Green Drake hatches. I've yet to experience one myself. When I first started fly-fishing I fished the Davidson in N.C. quite a bit. I was always told of really good Green Drake hatches in late May. I have fished that river quite a bit in late May, and have seen one single Green Drake hatch. I don't mean a hatch of bugs, I mean one bug hatch. It got about 15 feet above the water and a bird quickly snatched it out of the air just like Byron described in the report today. People always told me how big the bugs were, but it didn't register until I actually saw one. It was huge, and I can imagine what a big hatch of those things would due to the fish. Hopefully someday I'll be fortunate enough to be out at just the right time and witness one of these hatches.

Matt
Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM

Green Drake nymphs are burrowers. They come out of the silt and are active before the duns hatch. Often, the trout gorge on the nymphs which leave them indifferent to the emerging duns. The spinnerfall of the glowing white coffin flies are an event worth seeing also. About an hour before dark, find a riffle on Abrams and look up into the sky. You may see a gathering cloud of the coffin flies that will slowly get closer and closer to the water. eventually, with just about a half hour of light remaining, they will start dropping to the surface, laying eggs and/or dying. If you are positioned downstream of the drop-zone, the action could be heavy. Trout seem to really like food that can't get away.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Very interesting. I never knew that Jack, thanks for the info.

Matt
Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM

I don't think Byron & Paula will mind if I offer this link to a very effective GD nymph pattern that is sold on the banks of Penn's Creek in Central PA, literally world famous for its Green Drake Hatch:

http://store.thefeatheredhook.com/f-greennymph.html
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM

I'm wondering if I saw a dun on Straight Fork Saturday evening...it was a very large mayfly, and it looked to be a very light, pale green. There were other, smaller mayflies that were a light-medium gray, bouncing on the surface dropping their eggs...the trout did not rise to any of them.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 PM

Here are images of the dun and a female spinner "coffin fly" that were captured on Abrams late April 2007:

You can tell this is a female because the males have large eyes to find the mate and a set of pincers at the base of the tail to hold on tight when they find her: