Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Question Traffic in the park

I'm bringing my mom and dad up to the park on Saturday for the day and we're going to hike a little, fish, picnic, that sort of thing. But my dad is concerned that we're going to be stuck in gridlock because it's the spring, and it's mothers day weekend, and there are some road closures on top of that. The last few times I've been up this spring, I've come through Townsend and there was hardly any traffic. I'd imagine that most people will be stuck on the Gatlinburg side, but I don't come up enough to really know. What do you think I can expect for this weekend?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

little river road between metcalf and the wye will either be closed, or have large delays....they are trying to make the indian head (nose portion) safe....it has a huge booger and they are gonna try to blow it's nose...
Old 05-06-2008, 08:40 AM

Is the Wye where you have to turn either right or left on Little River road after entering through Townsend? Will the portion of the Little River Road that is closed prevent access to Tremont?

Is there any fishing near the West Prong Campground (Campsite 18 )? I assume that's the West Prong of the Little River that runs by. What's the best trail to get there, both for scenic value and for fishing?

Sorry for all the questions! I do appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Last edited by golfballs03; 05-06-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 AM

I think I could sit and listen or read, Sam's color commentaries all day.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Default West Prong

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs03 View Post
Is the Wye where you have to turn either right or left on Little River road after entering through Townsend? Will the portion of the Little River Road that is closed prevent access to Tremont?

Is there any fishing near the West Prong Campground (Campsite 18 )? I assume that's the West Prong of the Little River that runs by. What's the best trail to get there, both for scenic value and for fishing?

Sorry for all the questions! I do appreciate any advice. Thanks!
1) You are correct, the Wye is there as you enter the park from Townsend. You will be able to access Tremont even with the road closed.
2) There is some pretty good fishing (WPLR) around CS#18 (or there was before the drought last year, I haven't heard any reports up there lately). Its tight quarters and you won't find any monster trout, but it can be fun if the conditions are good. There are two ways into the campsite. The first is on the West Prong Trail from Tremont. Its about 2miles and is a nice hike. The other is starting on the Bote Mtn Trail and taking the West Prong Trail down to the campsite. Its a bit shorter (at 1.8miles, I believe), but a bit more difficult. Either way is a nice hike. I like the Tremont approach a little better.
3) Don't apologize for asking questions. Its the only way to learn...other than getting lost and wandering around.....

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

Last edited by PeteCz; 05-06-2008 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: online dictionaries don't prevent bad grammar
Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks a lot for the response.

After doing some looking around I've also thought about taking my parents on a hike to Ramsay Cascades or to Marks Cove (campsite 28 ) on the Lynn Camp trail so it will encompass more of the day and so my Mom can see some waterfalls. It is for Mothers Day so she wants to see good scenery, but I'd also like a trail I can fish a little bit too. (and don't worry, they're definitely up for the hike) How long of a hike is it to Marks Cove?

Between those two and the West Prong trail. Which would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help!

-Richard
Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

ramsey is much tougher than the other two.....west prong is very pretty at back country 18, but the rest is kinda thru the woods and over the rock hop. recommend coming to 18 by way of bote mountain trail...shorter....
however, be aware that bear activity has caused schoolhouse gap and turkeypen ridge to be closed....suspect white oak sinks would not be good either.........and they are close to bote mountain trailhead
marks cove (#2 is about 5 miles from the bridge
Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 PM

If I could throw in my 2 cents worth....Ramsey Cascade trail is a strong hike....but in that same area the Porter's Creek trail offers a nice hike and there is some very nice pocket water and pools up that way....I have caught trout up to 13 inches in there when there is enough water and for the most part the trail follows the creek.....try it you'll like it.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Hey thanks for all the help. I'll run these options by the folks and see what they say. Eventually I'm just going to have to hike them all and I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them