Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 AM

Default picture quality questions

A couple of questions for the professional photogs on here: How do you prevent the white out effect for after dark pictures? I have a basic dig camera that does not give you a lot of adjustments. My old SLR had a red pre-flash measurement that helped reduce the white glare. Any suggestions on how to reduce this in my pictures?

Heres an example of a recent pict.

next question:
When do you prefer to be out? the early morning for its softness or late afternoon for the warmness of the light?
early morn

late evening is my favorite during the golden hours before dark

Old 05-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Default White out blocker

Cut a note card to a size that will cover any angle between the flash and the frame to be photoed. Holding this card in front of the flash will difuse the light and reduce the over exposure. Be careful not to put the card infront of the lens. Scotch tape can be used if you need a few photos taken.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 AM

Troutman,
Does that camera have the ability to set your ISO manually? Just wondered, reducing the light sensitivity will help if you're able to.--Bran
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM

Gary - what camera are you shootin'?...diffusing the flash as sprestwood suggested is a great one - I use that trick with a piece of translucent milk jug on my point and shoot and a lumiqest bouce hood for my main flash gear which basically redirects the flash... the milk jug is not too shabby for taking out the hotspots, though I've never tried it on a wet subject or something that was extra reflective...
might be a case of finding a auto setting or metering mode from what little bit of settings you might be able to substitute for that situation...

I like the late evening light all the way for the natural,
but with some fill flash - you could simulate the same "richness" effects of afternoon light....take that further with the filter/acetate over flash trick with a filter that will throw some warm light or again if you can set your camera white balance...
Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Not sure if I can manually change the ISO settings. I will have to look at the camera when I get home.
It is not a fancy camera, just an inexpensive point and shoot 5mp that my son is letting me use since my camera died.
I will try the diffuser trick, hadn't thought about that.
I will need to go fishing again to get some practice!

Bran, My dad caught a big crappie yesterday, I was told it was a 2 pounder. It has probably already been filleted and heading to the skillet!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM

I heard that!! I had some the other night, extra good. I posted a couple pics on warm water section just now, I went for 45 minutes yesterday, caught 4 Crappie total before my wife called and said she hit a landscaping rock in the yard and knocked the mower tire off the wheel!! I had to run home and get that straight, she loves to cut grass and tells me to go ahead fishing and get out the way, all I have to make sure is the mower stays running! When the mower is down she starts fussing.