Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 06-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Wild Brook vs Stocked Brook

I was wondering the wild Brook trout in GSMNP are green with an orangish belly and red, yellow, and blue spots, while the stockers in the Clinch are Brown or Black with Yellow dots and maybe a hint of blue.

Will the stockers in the Clinch ever turn green or will they stay dark?
Also are these 2 fish the same strand of Brook Trout?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM

The colors of trout typically vary watershed to watershed. It is my understanding, that the brook trout stocked in the Clinch are Northern strain brook trout and the brook trout in the Park are Southern strain or mixed strain.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info
I always wondered why the difference.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default yup

Very True, Depending on which watershed you are in in the park the colors are very very different.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:53 PM

The brookies I've caught in NC look nothing like the wild fish in the park. I'm looking at a photo on my wall, honestly looks more like a char* than a brookie. Brown body with yellow spots. Decent sized delayed harvest fish.

* which of course it is.

sb
Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 PM

The brook trout stocked by North Carolina are all Northern Strain. Of North Carolina's wild brook trout, approximately a third or so are all southern strain, about 10-15 percent or so are all Northern Strain, and the rest are mixed strain with varying degrees of Southern strain and Northern Strain (i.e. the brook trout in one stream may have 80% Southern Strain genetics and 20% Northern Strain genetics or vice versa or any combination thereof). Interestingly, most of the Southern Strain streams in NC are Gulf of Mexico drainages. There are only a few streams in NC that flow into the Atlantic that are pure Southern Strain.

It is my understanding that Tennessee has a much higher percentage of streams that are pure Southern Strain, though NC probably has much more brook trout water.