Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Default 2 Trips to Lynn Camp

I was the 1st one to sign in opening mourning of the fish out. The fishing was GREAT!! I caught and kept 58 Rainbows 6'' to 11" I caught and released 30 rainbows 3"-5" I fished from 7:15-1"00. I went back the 1st Sunday was 3rd to sign in again the fishing was great I caught and kept 50 Rainbows 5" to 9" I caught and released 12 rainbows 3"-4" I fished from 8:00-1:00. I had a BLAST both trips. Thats 108 5"-11" Rainbows kept 42 3"-5" Rainbows released. That little creek is full of fish I only wish I could have went back 3 or 4 more times. I thank The LORD for every chance I get to go. Good Luck to All. Sincerly Caught 108
Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM

My trip's success isn't measured in inches or fish kept but sounds like you had fun
Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 PM

You know, you weren't supposed to release ANY of the rainbows during the fishout....
Old 07-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

It may have been tough to carry a toe sack full of them out, haha, glad you helped get rid of a few of em anyways.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 PM

I rarely keep trout when I fish. Did most people keep the fish and just toss them somewhere? Did you fillet 3-5 inch trout and eat them? I have never kept a wild fish. I eat stockers from Tellico or the Hiwassee occasionally. Come to think of it, I have never eaten a brown trout either. What does one do with 108 wild rainbows? I know you were supposed to kill them, seems it would be very troubling for me to do so.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 PM

OK, Dumb question but what was " allowed" during the fishout that increased catch numbers? was it the bait? Would someone explain the process. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 AM

Shaggy
I fished at Lynn Camp 2 times myself. Both times I caught a lot of fish. I know that my brother and I followed you the first day we fished. I'm glad that you had fun and you caught that many fish. The people working at the tent told me that they wished more people had turned out for the fish out. They also told me that the few people who showed up to fish did not hurt the population in this stream. I feel like the fish that people caught helped the park some what. I hate to see all of those fish that are going to be killed go to waste. I know that they will go back into the ecosystem as food for the animals and such. So, I guess that the fish are not going to waste so to speak. I would like to see the park open the fish out again for a couple of weeks. Again great 2 days of fishing...

May God Bless You...

Fly Man Bill
Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Dukee, Nothing out of the ordinary was allowed. Still Single Hook Artificial only.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I know you were supposed to kill them, seems it would be very troubling for me to do so.
Why?

As far as filleting goes, I almost never fillet a trout I cook them bone in and flake the meat off with a fork when they are done. The skin, tail and head help hold the whole thing together while it is cooking. This can be tough with the little guys, but their bones are soft enough that you can just pick them up and eat'em like a small piece of corn on the cob.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM

The Lynn Camp fish out was a way for the park to reduce the fish population in this stream. The park wanted people to keep the fish and to enjoy the fishing. I kept the fish that I caught.
I know some people who never keep fish in the park. They release every thing they land. That is fine if that is their wish but I feel like some of these fish will die due to stress. So if their going to die why not keep a few to eat (leagle size). I have no problem with some one who keeps fish. I think it helps the population and the over all size of the fish. I have talked to several of the park service and they all tell me that keeping fish in the park is not going to hurt the fishing or the over all population. Keeping fish is one way the park helps to control the fish population. If a person wants to keep fish he or she should not be shunned by other fisherman.
I was fishing on Little River a few years ago when I got the 3rd degree from a fellow fly fisherman about keeping a limit of fish. The way this guy was going on, a person would have thought that I shot his dog or something. He was in a red face rage and screamming. I can not tell you some of the words he used. It was pretty bad talk for a grown man. After he got done I just looked at him with this dumb look on my face. When the shock finally pasted I just smiled at him and told him to have a nice day and I left him in the creek. I did not let this person get to me. I was back in the streams fishing the next day. It is up to the person fishing to make the choice to keep fish or to release them. It is not my place or any other persons right to pass judgement on a person for keeping fish or letting them go.

May God Bless You.. Philippians 4:13

Bill