Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM

Default Bamboo Rod help

My dad's cousin just brought me a boo rod that came from upstate New York. It is in pretty rough shape. I plan to restore it. I can't find a name on it anywhere. I don't think it is really worth anything but would like to restore it to fish with. I think it is around a 6 or 8wt. It is a 9ft 3pc. One thing that leads me to think it isn't too old even though it appears to be old as the hills is it has a plastic reel seat. Here is a pic. Notice the thumb "groove" cut in the cork also.

I have lots of questions like how to get the reel seat and cork off without damaging the blank. It also needs new furels sp?. How do I get them off? The rod has a slight set in it, I think it would cost more than the rod is worth to fix this but it is just slight so shouldn't make a big difference in the cast. I am interested in restoring this so any help would be nice. Here are a couple more pics.

Thanks for the Help. Oh ya i have built graphite rods so I know some of the basics but nothing about cane.

STU
Old 01-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Default Rod Help

O.k.,Lets start with the real seat.Look for any pins or nails,if you find some,try to pull them out with anything you can grab them with,like small pliers.If there isnt any nails,try to heat the seat with eather a torch,(be carfull) or a heat gun,that should heat up any glue,and you should be able to pull it off.
The cork grip can be cut off with a knife,but be very carful you dont cut the Bamboo,when you get it close,use 200 grit to 400 grit sand paper to get to the Bamboo.Try to only clean the cork and adheasive from the Bamboo.Dont sand the Boo.
The ferrels may be pined also,if so,pull the pins,and heat.Only heat enough to get the glue to release.
If you need some help,call me at 740-828-9371 in the evening.

And,by all means,HAVE FUN !!!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 AM

The thumb indent was characteristic of South Bend rods, but any homemade rodmaker could have imitated that styling. If the reel seat and grip are on solid, I see no need to remove or replace them. Same with the ferrules: if they are on solid, don't mess with them. Although your pics are blurry, the varnish doesn't seem to be flaking. I would suggest merely re-wrapping all the guides and probably replacing them with modern guides which will accomodate modern fly lines better. If the varnish is not flaking or bubling, you may be able to use steel wool dampened with a solvent to lightly "polish" it up a bit. Test the solvent first to make sure you aren't going to strip the varnish. Light sandpaper could smooth out the cork grip. For large pits, make a paste of cork shavings and wood glue-- just enough glue to make paste-- then putty the pits and lightly sand smooth. Make sure the guides go back on the spline. Bamboo fibers stretch over time and the spline out of line will make the rod track along a plane different than your casting stroke, which would be bad. That would be the least amount of work to restore it to fishable conditions.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 AM

PS- near the tip, it looks like there may have been a splice repair. If that is the case, I would be reluctant to unwrap it.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 AM

Sorry so long, I have been away from this project for a while bu picked it back up. I left the cork and seat. I have completely stripped the rest. The ferrules were trash and the finish just ddin't suit me so. I have it ready to re ferrule and finish and wrap. I hope ti works out for me. Ps the wrap at the tip was just one of the intermediates, not a splice. If anyone else has any other comments email me @ troutbum1978@yahoo.com I have already got a thread on another board with more pics just don't want to have to retype all of that. i can send a link to it if you are interested though.

STU
Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Don't know if you have found ferrules yet or not, but you may want to give these guys a shout
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Ferrules

Pretty sure that what you have is a South Bend 323 that has been reworked at some point in it's life. SB didn't use that much wrap on anything they built. The grip is a comficient grip that came from the factory with the thumb depression. I believe that was a Wes Jordan design that he incorporated prior to leaving SB and joining Orvis. you should have a lot of fun with that rod both in reworking it and fishing it.

Be careful reinstalling ferrules as it is awfully easy to get them misaligned and result is a nice little bend in the rod at the ferrules.