Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 PM

Default Fly Tying Desk Photos

I thought it would be pretty cool to see the variation in fly tying desks or stations from fellow board members. I will start it. My fly tying desk doubles as my wife's home office desk until we build our house equipped with my Man-Cave. I have to use plastic storage containers so that I can easily move my materials out of the way when necessary. Oh, and I can't forget the picture of me with my lovely bride. Let's see some more desk pictures.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-06-2008, 09:22 PM

you are not getting picture of mine with something clean
Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 AM

Picture a coffee table with a small canvas bag full of materials and a vice.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
you are not getting picture of mine with something clean
Back when I tied for some income, for a local shop, I had a huge setup. I had a large computer desk as my main workstation, but I also had peg boards hung up all around with hooks and dubbing sorted. Since the majority of my orders were for BHPT and scuds, I had probably 2 dozen pheasant tails and 4 or 5 packs each of olive, grey, and tan dubbing for scuds. I had bead chains strung up on my desk to hang the flies from to dry after applying head cement. Then I started tying mostly brassies in 22 & 24, and I was young and stupid so I didn't use a lamp or magnifying glass. Next thing I know my eyes had paid the price, so I chose to quit tying except for myself and a couple friends. Now I always use a lamp and that handy little magnifier on my vice.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Back when I tied for some income, for a local shop, I had a huge setup. .... Then I started tying mostly brassies in 22 & 24, and I was young and stupid so I didn't use a lamp or magnifying glass. Next thing I know my eyes had paid the price, so I chose to quit tying except for myself and a couple friends. Now I always use a lamp and that handy little magnifier on my vice.
Travis,

I've often wondered if you could turn a profit tying for production. I've sold a handful on Ebay and found that if you subtract "labor" then you can almost cover the cost of materials.....notice the word "almost"

Sorry to change the topic....I'll post an image of my tying set-up once I get home.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:19 PM

I'll paint a picture of my desk with words.

Think of a table with a fairly large Craftsman tool box stuffed to the top with assorted hair, feathers, dubbing, foam popper bodies, thread, bobbins and other things that I have probably forgotten are in there but were must have necessities at the time I bought them. Each of these precious items is tucked in a neat plastic zip lock bag and lovingly placed in the tool box. Or, as my wife says, junk thrown into a box.

Now, my tying desk is our coffee table in the patio sun room. When I'm not tying, it is neat, straight, and "wife approved". When I'm tying, the wifely comments range from "smells like mothballs in here" to "when are you going to clean that mess up". In other words, it is not wifely approved.

Fortunately, my wife understands (read believes) that I save a bundle of money tying my own flies. Since she sometimes reads over my shoulder, let's not say anything that would cause her to think otherwise.

I do try to root through my box and get out the stuff I need for the flies I plan to tie that evening. However, I have the attentions span of a 2 year old so whatever I started tying, usually ends up being something else so there are neat zip lock bags of feathers, hair, dubbing, popper bodies, and other assorted things that I thought were necessities when I bought them strewn all over the coffee table, couch, floor and every other horizontal surface within arm's reach of my vice.

I guess I could take a photo but I'm sure if you read the above three paragraphs, close your eyes, you can pretty much see what my tying desk looks like.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Here is my desk. two 18" drawer bases and about 30" knee space to sit.
I unfortunately had kitchen height cabinets available at work, so it sits a little higher than normal. Although I don't have to slump over to see what I'm doing.

Below is a thread organizer that I grabbed at a craft store. It can sit on the counter top or mount on the wall.