Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM

Default 8/16/2008-tremont

Got off at 1PM--Grabbed my stuff--headed down I-75--arrived in Townsend at about 5PM-It was good to be in the park--everything appeared to be as before,in order,and ready to be fished-pulled off the gravel road onto a familiar turn out next to the stream-rigged a dry-fly with nymph dropper-it was as it was supposed to be,the mountains,the stream I was ready to go-THEN a SUV pulledbehind me--doors opened--3 guys got out--they were drinking beer-walked to the stream-one guy finished his beer and tossed the can in the stream-the can bounced off a rock or two before submerging in the water-the next guy finished his beer and tossed his can as the first guy had-I said"Fella's please don't litter the streams"they answered saying it was their park,they were taxpayers,and they would do whatever the h____ they wanted to do!!!and to mind my own business!!!they stared me down for a minute or two then left,scratched off,left in dust and flying gravel-now here's the good part-these boys were dressed to do some fishing--they looked like fly fishing poster boys,new waders,new vests,and lots of cold beer.I should have turned them in but I opted to fish out the beer cans and continue on withmy fishing.So much for trashing the park.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM

That is so aggravating, how did you keep your cool during that. It really is a shame that people don't respect what we have here. I would like to find the address of that person, take a whole truckload of garbage to their house, and dump it all over their yard.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-20-2008, 05:02 PM

You did the right thing. When you're alone like that, it's best to not start a fight with a couple drunk rednecks. Too bad there's such limited cell phone access in the park or you could have made a phone call to the rangers with the license information from their suv.

Thanks for fishing the cans out of the river.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2008, 08:30 PM

Just reading this makes me angry....first of all, what business did they have pulling up right behind you, when they could see you were fishing that stretch? Secondly, my answer to "I'm a taxpayer, etc etc" would be to say that I'm a taxpayer too, and you're messing up my share of the park (at that given period in time). You handled it far better than I would have - I know my temper would have gotten the better of me. The worst thing is, they were supposedly there to fish - they don't even have the excuse of being just a typical dumb tourist.

We fished Straight Fork on Sunday, and while it is a pretty stream, it does have a lot of litter. I found a can in the stream, and one of my daughters found a case of Bud, with a few cans left in it. I imagine a lot of that stuff is from teenagers driving up there from Cherokee - again, I don't think it's fishermen doing that.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Unfortunately this seem to be the way everywhere. I found Abrams creek badly littered a couple of weeks ago. I tried to pick up what I could. My driveway and yard in Knoxville is littered almost daily. I just don't understand the mentality. It's a losing battle and all we can do is to pick up after the slobs.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM

Cool New Route

Hans! Maybe I drive a new route when I am in your part of town slammin down beers and Big Macs, LOL. I f you show me your Clinch secrets I will change my ways.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijsouth View Post
Just reading this makes me angry....first of all, what business did they have pulling up right behind you, when they could see you were fishing that stretch? Secondly, my answer to "I'm a taxpayer, etc etc" would be to say that I'm a taxpayer too, and you're messing up my share of the park (at that given period in time). You handled it far better than I would have - I know my temper would have gotten the better of me. The worst thing is, they were supposedly there to fish - they don't even have the excuse of being just a typical dumb tourist.

We fished Straight Fork on Sunday, and while it is a pretty stream, it does have a lot of litter. I found a can in the stream, and one of my daughters found a case of Bud, with a few cans left in it. I imagine a lot of that stuff is from teenagers driving up there from Cherokee - again, I don't think it's fishermen doing that.

Bad idea, brother! Three against one? No way! Best to just keep your mouth shut and take down their tag number. They won't be so cocky with a couple of Rangers there later on.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 PM

Oh, I agree...it would be dumb to take them on, particularly because I'm not the biggest guy in the world....but, just reading about this lights my fuse.

Probably the thing to do would be to take a picture of the plate...as was mentioned earlier, if the cell phone coverage wasn't so spotty, a quick call to a ranger would be in order. Almost makes one want to invest in a satellite phone.