Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 08-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Default help with camping

I'm thinking of coming up this Fri Sat Sun, was wondering if you could get 30' bumper pull rv into cataloochee? was up there a couple yrs ago tent camping and remember the road being tight. this time I'm bringing my wife and eight year old duaghter. We want to get away from the crowds but I want my daughter to be able to roam a little, and my wife to be able to hike safely. I must be able to fish from campsite. Any suggestions? I have camped and hiked alot and never feared the outdoors, but you all are getting me a little worried for daughter with all this bear talk...any real concerns??
Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 PM

Default Cataloochee?

FlaBoy,
Forget about the bear scare. That is really a very minor problem. However.... getting a 30ft. camper up that mountain and down into Cataloochee Cove may be a bear of a different story. That is a pretty tight road and I hope you can handle that vehicle real well. I believe that I would get in touch with Park Headquarters and talk with them about how practical that might be, or at least see if you can find someone who has done that before. There are very few turnouts or turnarounds while you're on that gravel road section. Be safe and check this out.
Hugh
Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 PM

I looked on the gsmnp web site for someone to call. The best i could come up with was an email address that said it would take a week or more to answer. another concern was weather or not there would be anything available since its a holiday week end. My wife would kill me if I drove her up that road,only to turn around because they were full....Guess it would be the best place to die just not the best way!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:05 AM

I took a look at the frontcountry camping page just now, and it isn't looking good:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm

It doesn't say, but since there's no link to make a reservation, it would seem that Cataloochee is unavailable. I took a look at a couple of the other sites that have some spots (Cosby, Elkmont), and it looks like only Friday is available.

I second Hugh's comments on the road into Cataloochee...I take my time going in there, and I'm driving a car. There's a lot of blind curves until you reach pavement inside the park. It's tough to find spots on a holiday weekend - I priced hotel rooms in Maggie Valley, and they're either booked, or the rooms that are available are scalper's prices...big time price gouging - a room that would normally go for about $70 going for $126.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 AM

Default Plan B

FlaBoy-

I'd maybe try Smokemont. For you, the Bradley Fork and Oconaluftee are right there, and you can be in Cherokee in just a few minutes to entertain the family.

Since Smokemont takes reservations, you wouldn't have to worry about getting there and not getting a campsite. The last time I was at Cataloochee - August of last year while school was still out - we got there on a Thursday, and I think it was slap full by that night. It definitely was by Friday night.

JSouth's link will get you to the Smokemont reservation page.

-Milton
Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I live here close to Cataloochee and as beautiful as that area is I would suggest somewhere else. These next two weekends are some of the busiest of the year. Not to mention that the water levels are at a 60 year low. It is raining and more rain is to come, but I would hate for you to pull that RV all the way in and not be able to find a place to park it. Best of luck in wherever you end up, the water levels and temperatures should be very cooperative this weekend.