Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 PM

Default Clinch Fishing and wishing

Returned to the Clinch today. Great midge activity from the time we got there about 10:30A until the water came up around 2:30 when the fishing started dropping off. Minimal microcaddis. I saw one LONE sulphur. Better late than never. Wonder who he will hook up with? That guy is out of luck! I released right at 35 brooks, bows, and browns in that order of numbers. No real brutes, but some nicer 14-15". All on an #18 midge.

The wish came when I saw a Clackacraft come down by me that was alot like the one I owned at one time. Made me for a second want one again, until they scraped that beautiful boat over a shoal! Oh well, as the guy at Clacka said you can set a bomb off underneath one and it won't hurt it, just make it look bad. I did buy a FishCat with 10' pontoons on it, and have been waiting for the water to start backing down, so I am going to crank that thing up soon.

Water...pulsed 1 gen. early AM for one hour, and then off until noon. We had falling water from the morning pulse.
BP. Steady throughout the day
Farmer's Almanac good
Moonrise 1305
Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 AM

Sounds like a great day Phil, and buy a Hyde, you know they are better.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Default Scraping bottom....

That was more than likely me you saw scraping bottom. We were in a black, gray and white Clacka yesterday. It's not my boat. It was buddy's sitting behind me. He's put a few scratches on mine, so I thought I owned him a few. LOL....

I was trying to keep from putting your fish down, so we chose a little skinnier line.

Saw you land a couple of those 35, we didn't do to bad ourselves. Had better luck during the morning hours before the heat of the day caught up to us along with the water.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey View Post
That was more than likely me you saw scraping bottom. We were in a black, gray and white Clacka yesterday. It's not my boat. It was buddy's sitting behind me. He's put a few scratches on mine, so I thought I owned him a few. LOL....

I was trying to keep from putting your fish down, so we chose a little skinnier line.

Saw you land a couple of those 35, we didn't do to bad ourselves. Had better luck during the morning hours before the heat of the day caught up to us along with the water.

It sounds like Jay is leaving a nice trail of gelcoat. I guess he's marking his territory...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Default Marking territory

I already marked that shoal years ago with mine! Holy Cow the first time down that river (after buying the boat used) my lead anchor fell off in the parking lot ( a poor knot by the previous owner). I had to crash into the left bank below Peach Orchard and get a huge rock and tie it own for an anchor. Then I nailed that shoal above Offut to break in the bottom. I think I knocked some gelcoat out of one of the chines!

The midge fishing was great yesterday. Your buddy up front must be a UT fan with that BIG ORANGE indicator!

Waterwolf,
I'd rather push a Clacka than row a Hyde! Kinda like asking a Chevy guy to drive a Ford. Are those Hydes still got foam in the bottom so when you get a leak and the bottom freezes it expands and blows out? LOL
Old 09-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Sounds like a good day Dr. Phil! I miss the Clinch!

Why hit rocks when you can just bounce off them?

STAR Sport Bug. Similar to Wonder Bug but has a transom mount. My dad and I like it so far.

I suppose if you're one of those guys that has to have a Gucci Fly Rod and Louis Vuitton Reel, a Clacka or Hyde might be the way to go though.

By the way, are you interested in fishing the Missouri and Blackfoot with Bill and I next summer?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crick Addict View Post
It sounds like Jay is leaving a nice trail of gelcoat. I guess he's marking his territory...
By my own hand or from those of my compadres, I always try to leave the bottom a little smoother than I found it..

Need to get you up this way and hit the Clinch or some smallies on the Holston Crick. I know where some nice sharp rocks are at both places.. Seriously though.. Give me a shout..

Marmot
Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 PM

UofMontanaAlum,
Nice watercraft! If I had to guess where the pic was taken, I'd say that was Wolf Creek access?

mstone
Old 09-13-2008, 10:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
By my own hand or from those of my compadres, I always try to leave the bottom a little smoother than I found it..

Need to get you up this way and hit the Clinch or some smallies on the Holston Crick. I know where some nice sharp rocks are at both places.. Seriously though.. Give me a shout..

Marmot
Marmot, if the rocks are real sharp, we can take my ride. She goobles rocks like candy, floats on a dish rag, and bounces
off boulders.
I'd love to fish the Soho this coming fall. It's good to hear from you.