Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Default Clinch River 9-14

Quick report on the Clinch: My buddy and I fished on Sunday morning on the shoals downstream of Peach Orchard. We tried out a few different flies, but the old trusty BHPT and zebra midge did the trick. We didn't catch anything of size, but we caught about 15-20 trout in three hours on the water, mostly brookies and a couple of 'bows. A couple of the brookies were 12+" and extremely pretty. I'd like to buy a beer for the fellow that had the bright idea of stocking them in the Clinch. They are a hoot!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

Is there access to the "shoals" below peach orchard or is it privet property?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 PM

They were a freebie from WV, and now every year we will get around 60,000 for just being nice to the feds.

I could live with or without them personally. One good thing about them is that they are dumber then rocks.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Well, I've always considerd myself as dumb as rocks, so maybe that's why I'm a fan of the brook trout!

I believe that all the land around the shoals is private. It's a pretty easy float/paddle from the peach orchard ramp though, and well worth the effort of bringing the boat along. You just have to keep in mind when the water is coming and head back well before that.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:10 PM

I assure you I am dumber then a brook trout.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:45 PM

Default I am a fan of stupid fish...

I am a fan of stupid fish, the make me feel much more skilled and smarter than I really am. I especially like big dumb trout, they are just extremely far and few between. Though we about had a couple fooled in the wee hours of the morning last Friday/Saturday.

One thing to keep in mind if you plan is to row down to the shoals below Peach Orchard and row back to the boat ramp is that TVA doesn't always do what they say. They have been known to release water before their posted time in the past. If that is the case and you can't get back up river, then you are in for a 7 mile boat ride. The good thing is your cell service gets better the closer you get to Clinton and you can call for somebody to bring you a car.