Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-28-2008, 09:41 PM

Default Skunked on the Caney...Again.

O.k. so I took my nephew to the Caney down by Lancaster (The Steps?) and started out fishing the middle of the river with a dry stimulator with a black bead head zebra midge dropped down about 4ft (I usually go 2ft, but Grumpy said he likes to fish deeper, so I thought I would give it a shot). I tried the middle, closer to the bank and nothing. I was mending my line well, I think. I couldn't get the last two feet of tippet to mend just right, but it was o.k. I did get one bite. Saw some guys in a drift boat catch one a couple hundred feet to the left of us (looked like a huge brown), so we moved down and tried there when they left (this place is on the bank directly across from the steps from the road). Still nothing. I finally tried a Light Elk Hair Caddis alone on top and still nothing. I saw a really small white fly hatching, but I don't know what it was. I think I'll try a blue winged olive with a midge dropper...Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 PM

I think when Grumpy is talking about fishing deeper he is referring to using an indicator rig. It will take some split shot to get the fly down. A zebra midge is great as a dropper as long as you keep the dropper length short. In flowing water, it isn't able to sink fast enough on its own to get particularly deep quickly enough. I would suggest keeping your droppers shorter (at least that is what has worked well for me). When fishing out at Lees Ferry in Arizona (where the zebra midge originated I believe), I was told that a fish will come up in the water column to take this pattern and not to let your dropper get too long. If they aren't taking midge pupa then it will be a long day even with this normally amazing pattern. There are always a few fish that can be caught on this rig but you need to learn where they are apt to be feeding if most of the fish aren't keyed on pupa. Let the fish tell you what they want. Some days you can fish a dry/dropper all day and other days it will be very slow on that rig...

If you want to fish a deep nymph rig, stick to using an indicator and split shot...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 PM

I don't know how you could get skunked on the Caney...

David- Isn't Lancaster where we parked and we all almost fell? The place with the shack across the pull off? If it is, then Lancaster hasn't "shock and awed" me by all means. It seems like fantastic water but when we were there we saw at least a dozen fishermen and only one 17" brown was caught, along with a few that David pulled in. Gerry and I didn't catch any at Lancaster.

BRF, I'll tell you my favorite- a tan sz. 14 EHC with a black and silver zebra midge under it. I've had multiple strikes on the indicator, but I haven't been able to bring one in on the indicator just yet. But I PROMISE that if you go up to Happy Hollow right around daybreak it is IMPOSSIBLE not to catch a fish, it's unreal how many fish are in that shallow water not even 10 feet out.

To your question about length of tippet, here's a method I made up that has worked great for me- make your elbows touch your side, and hold the spool of tippet with both hands in the middle of your chest. Grab the end of the tippet on the spool, still keeping elbows on your sides, pull your hands apart until your arms go straight out from your body. Grab the place where the tippet meets the spool with your left hand, keeping your right hand straight out, and pull one more length until your left hand becomes straight out from your body. Make sense? Sorry it might be a little confusing
Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 AM

Default Blame it on the Almanac

Yesterday was supposed to be a bad day to fish........

I know a couple who plan everything around the almanac, maybe their right!! LOL

It's a good excuse for you.

I agree with Plat. Ditch all that Stimulator mess and say if you are fishing in 3-4 ft. of slight current or more tie on your terminal tippet of about a foot. Add to the surgeons knot or blood knot area some Loon Soft lead(trick i use is leave the ends of the excess mono a little longer than usual, about 2mm and it helps hold the lead on). I then use Lefty's Indicator yarn in white. IF there is current add about 4-6 in more than the actual depth to compensate for the bend in the leader/tippet from the current. IF no current, make it the same as the depth.

Rule of thumb. If you have a great fly and no strikes. Make the indicator 4 inches longer to get the fly deeper. Do this about every 10 drifts until you either start picking up fish or you start hitting the bottom. If you pick up the bottom then back up 2-3 inches and you should be putting it on their nose!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
I don't know how you could get skunked on the Caney...

David- Isn't Lancaster where we parked and we all almost fell? The place with the shack across the pull off? If it is, then Lancaster hasn't "shock and awed" me by all means. It seems like fantastic water but when we were there we saw at least a dozen fishermen and only one 17" brown was caught, along with a few that David pulled in. Gerry and I didn't catch any at Lancaster.

BRF, I'll tell you my favorite- a tan sz. 14 EHC with a black and silver zebra midge under it. I've had multiple strikes on the indicator, but I haven't been able to bring one in on the indicator just yet. But I PROMISE that if you go up to Happy Hollow right around daybreak it is IMPOSSIBLE not to catch a fish, it's unreal how many fish are in that shallow water not even 10 feet out.

To your question about length of tippet, here's a method I made up that has worked great for me- make your elbows touch your side, and hold the spool of tippet with both hands in the middle of your chest. Grab the end of the tippet on the spool, still keeping elbows on your sides, pull your hands apart until your arms go straight out from your body. Grab the place where the tippet meets the spool with your left hand, keeping your right hand straight out, and pull one more length until your left hand becomes straight out from your body. Make sense? Sorry it might be a little confusing
Listen to you!!

A few posts ago you were whining just like BRF "I can't catch anything on the Caney... where are all the fish?? ... what am I doing wrong??" and now you're offering sound advice!? Where did this come from??

congrats! You're not only addicted, you know what's going on and how to explain it. Very gratifying...

Now for some specifics.

The 12' that Grumpy was referring to was for some specific areas along the Caney's course. Lancaster is not one of them. Most of the Lancaster area is way too shallow (when it's wade-able) to use anything over 3' on your dropper - even up against the bank. So 24" to 36" in the Lancaster area should work just fine. And, yes, yarn indicators are move able so start at 24" and adjust from there.

The area below the bluffs (and just before the bluffs if you're drifting) is full of some very deep, slow pools where you can extend your dropper to some incredible depths. There are a few killer browns in there, but there's also a lot of deep hidden structure there so you've got to be pretty careful.

Congrats, Trey! You're now suddenly giving back and I think that's great

Gerry
Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
PS.. What is a Blue Raider anyway?
Middle Tennessee State. I'll be a student there next fall. MTSU has pulled off some upsets lately, so I'm kinda psyched about going there if the football team gets better like it has been doing. But I'm going to be a pilot, and they have one of the top 5 flight teams in the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
Listen to you!!

A few posts ago you were whining just like BRF "I can't catch anything on the Caney... where are all the fish?? ... what am I doing wrong??" and now you're offering sound advice!? Where did this come from??

congrats! You're not only addicted, you know what's going on and how to explain it. Very gratifying...

Now for some specifics.

The 12' that Grumpy was referring to was for some specific areas along the Caney's course. Lancaster is not one of them. Most of the Lancaster area is way too shallow (when it's wade-able) to use anything over 3' on your dropper - even up against the bank. So 24" to 36" in the Lancaster area should work just fine. And, yes, yarn indicators are move able so start at 24" and adjust from there.

The area below the bluffs (and just before the bluffs if you're drifting) is full of some very deep, slow pools where you can extend your dropper to some incredible depths. There are a few killer browns in there, but there's also a lot of deep hidden structure there so you've got to be pretty careful.

Congrats, Trey! You're now suddenly giving back and I think that's great

Gerry

You've been my mentor for god knows how long now, 5 months? And you've NEVER gotten angry with my questions that I'm sure you've answered a dozen more times than you cared to. Why WOULDN'T I want to give back? Fly fishing has changed my life, it's sad to admit but I LOVE IT!

You want to know what I'm doing next, buddy? Buying 2 kayaks to put in the back of my dad's truck so a friend and I can go float the Caney whenever we want, and not have to wait on my dad so we can cram into the jon boat. I saw a lot of people fly fishing from kayaks, and it seemed like it was a lot of fun.

I swear one day I will find a way to pay you back for all that you've done for me.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:05 PM

Gerry,

Please don't think of it as whining. I'm just trying to gather information and to be honest, yes I am frustrated, but that's o.k. I love to learn new things. I think people have to remember; I'm not in a boat. In my opinion, it is much easier to get a good drift on a fly in a boat with a slack down stream cast close to the bank, than it is while wading. I also don't cover NEARLY as much ground as a person in a boat. Having said that, it's clear I have a lot to learn. For some reason I can see a couple hundred bucks of my money in Grumpy's pocket come next Spring.

Dwayne
Old 09-29-2008, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Grumpy says thank you... but why wait til spring??

Hang in there.. it'll all make sense shortly. Just ask Trey
Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM

Trey,

Glad to hear you chose the premier state university in Tennesee to further your education. We also have a nationally ranked Recording Idustry Management program. Don't become close friends with any one that parties a lot. They'll just drag you down. I could have gone to medical school, but I wanted to party too much and now I work in a lab. It's a good job and pays o.k, but it doesn't pay what a doctor makes, that is for certain. Just think; When all the heavy partiers are sleeping it off, you'll be on the river living the good life!

Dwayne
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Trey,

Glad to hear you chose the premier state university in Tennesee to further your education.

Dwayne
Yeah, those MTSU grads make good day laborers and always enjoy working for Maryville College alums