Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM

Smile Caney Fork Access

I will be in middle Tennessee ( Gallatin ) for a few days and thought about going to the Caney Fork. Can anyone give me some info on access points and parking.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyyak View Post
Can anyone give me some info on access points and parking.
Anywhere... and anywhere!

Seriously, that's what it felt and looked like the day after Thanksgiving! Wade-fishers were literally coming out of the woodwork and squatting in every cubic inch of that river

So I would avoid the Caney on any national holiday -- or Sunday for that matter.

In spite of that, I'd say the Caney is still my favorite tailwater

The link below will take you to an Army Corps of Engineers PDF file of the best map I've found for accessing the Caney. It's well marked and points out all the public access points, including the obscure "Kirby Road Pulloff" near Congo Bottoms.

The stretch from the dam to Happy Hollow seems to be the most popular. The stretch from Happy Hollow to Betty's Island seems to have the most slack water. And some guy on another board got ripped a new one for posting extensive info (including a map marked with his personal honey holes) on Congo Bottoms -- so I would expect Congo Bottoms to become the next front line in the combat fishing on the Caney Aside from the parking lot at the dam and the Interstate Rest Area, most parking along the Caney is roadside... adequate, but roadside. The Lancaster spot at the Smith County Line has a small stretch of roadside parking and a slightly-better-than-primitive set of steps down to the river, thereby making it one of the more popular spots.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/cen...Caney_Fork.pdf

Good luck!

Gerry Romer
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 12-18-2008 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Getting a jump on my New Year's resolution to be more inclusive...
Old 12-18-2008, 02:23 PM

The Caney is becoming more crowded regardless of what day it is, everyone realizes what an excellent fishery it is. It has gotten a lot of publicity lately passed from angler to angler or on the internet, it has been rated as one of the top rivers in the nation. It is an excellent river, I'd suggest getting to Happy Hollow early when the sun rises and get in an hour of good fishing before people start showing up. Start at the bottom of HH, and then work your way up river.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:26 PM

Default Caney Fork

Thanks for the info. It is supposed to be a rainy weekend, hopefully that will limit the crowds.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:12 PM

That will put down both the people, and the fish. The trout aren't very skittish, but the rain makes them a little more tense than usual. You shouldn't have a problem catching fish though, the Caney is FULL of trout. A few stupid stockers, and even more smarter, larger fish.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 AM

The Caney won't be fishable for wade fisherman for another few days at least and probably quite a bit longer. The lake came up several feet after the last big rain event. They have been generating 24/7 and it looks like they will continue to do so for awhile...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
The Caney won't be fishable for wade fisherman for another few days at least and probably quite a bit longer. The lake came up several feet after the last big rain event. They have been generating 24/7 and it looks like they will continue to do so for awhile...

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH HHH!
It isn't safe now folks.

Grumpy
Old 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM

Dang, I was hoping they generated enough in the past week to be able to fish tomorrow. They're still running 2 or more generators