Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Floating the Holston??

I was wondering if many people float the Holston? Now, what I am really wondering is if its possible with float tubes?? I am really wanting to get to different spots to fish mainly just for the change of scenery. I have seen the float tubes that people use for fishing lakes, I thought maybe they could be used for the river too..

Now, are there any access spots between the Cherokee and Nances Ferry? It would be a long way to go between the 2.. I know that it takes 5 hours for the water to reach to the Ferry. I wouldn't mind trying it but I would really like to be able to stop alot and fish different spots without having to worry about running out of daylight and not being able to make it to the ferry..

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-26-2008, 10:07 PM

I wouldn't recommend it.

Float tubes are made for still water and they become fairly dangerous on moving rivers where shallow water is abundant.

Not to mention the long stretches of water between access points. They would be downright miserable in a tube seeing how your means of propulsion are your feet.

If your wanna float I'd recommend buying a boat that could accommodate a trolling motor.

Now, the weir pool on the Clinch is great float tube water when the generators are off.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:12 AM

How about in a one man pontoon? Any rough spots that could pose a threat? Assuming generation is off and float is from below bridge to nances ferry for trout, and perhaps a float below that for smallies and carp during the summer.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:27 PM

Ok, but still curious about any access points between Cherokee and nances ferry. Does anyone know of any? I would really like to try somewhere else down below there..
Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM

none that are completely public
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Floating the Holston

I wouldn't try to tube the Holston. There are multiple ledges, drop offs and just plan dangerous spots, not to mention the long and I mean long flat water. A person could be down right miserable before lunch.....if they lasted that long.

Take a boat or hire one of the local guides to take you, but I would be afraid to do any of the access points to another access point in a tube.

It is a fun river in a boat though, that's for sure!

www.southeasternfly.com