Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Default I had a laugh at this.

I dunno if this is the appropriate section, but some guy on the paintball forum I'm on tried to convince me that catching a bass is more challenging and give harder fight than a trout. It was all I could do to stop from laughing out loud, I've got respect for bass but that is just ludicrous. Guys like these make my life interesting
Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 AM

My question to you would be, whats the biggest bass you've ever caught?
I have caught a 7pound smallie and a 6 pound largemouth and both where very fun to catch. The 7 pound smallie more so than the lrg. I would tend to agree that lake fishing for bass is very technical and very hard to do. There are very few people in this area that can go out on a consistant basis and catch a 5 fish limit weighing over 15-20 pounds. But dont get me wrong I fly fish because the same reasons you do im sure. But I am best friends with a bass tournament director and see the inside of how challenging of a sport it is. I gave up tournament bass fishing a couple years ago to fly fish but I have alot of respect for those bass guys that invest ALOT of money and time in a very large sport. And we do share one good thing in common with those bass guys,,,,,they all take very good care of thier catch and care about the fishery they fish.

Check out my gallery.....
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 AM

I've caught multiple stripe, largemouth, and smallmouth. My biggest would be about a 15 pound stripe, and I catch 5-7 pound larges frequently. But I don't think it involves as much skill to entice a bass than it does a trout.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
I've caught multiple stripe, largemouth, and smallmouth. My biggest would be about a 15 pound stripe, and I catch 5-7 pound larges frequently. But I don't think it involves as much skill to entice a bass than it does a trout.
I would disagree, I think it takes a different set of skills to entice a bass to bite, but it is still difficult. I would still rather trout fish, but living where I am I end spending a lot of time warm water fly fishing.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Give me a 5 pound rainbow any day for a good fight...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Hi. My name is Chad (Hi, Chad.) and I'm a reformed baitcasting bass fisherman.

I oft' wonder what a trout would think of a 3/4 oz. buzzbait?

Also, I think I'd land a lot more trout if I could get by with using 12lb. test !
Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 PM

I have no care to go after reds, saltwater scares the stuff outta me. But I would take a fiesty 8" brookie or brown over a 5+ pound largemouth any day. The only bass that has ever taken drag out on me was the biggest striper I've caught, but multiple trout have taken drag out on me. They're just absolutely crazy.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Default From Bass to Bream to Trout

Well guys I have read all your posts and I feel that I am in good company. I too use to tournament fish with the bait casting reels and 7' heavy to medium heavy casting rods. I lost interest in this type of fishing about 3 years ago when I read an article a guy had written who lived on a pressure fished lake in California. He was writing about using extremely light tackle to catch hugh bream, spots and largemouth. That article change my way of fishing forever. I started using micro light rods 7 ½’ long with small spinning reels spooled with 2 to 4 lb. test line using tiny grubs, rooster tails, and even live leeches about 1/2" long---this method of fishing has enabled me to catch 3 times the fish I use to catch with the heavy equipment. Landing a large 1 lb. bream or a 4 lb. spot or even a 4 to 5 lb. largemouth takes a lot of skill especially using this type of equipment. It has become a challenge now to land the fish that I use to jerk out of the water with heavy tackle. The micro learning experience has lead me to trout fishing a couple of years ago and I am hooked forever---why because I had developed a love for landing the fish with light tackle before I tried to land the weary trout. I have found that the fight the trout puts up is just as exciting as landing a large beam or spot on light tackle. I think that one of the most appealing things about trout fishing is the challenge of getting the fish to take your fly and once hooked seeing the fish go airborne. I am still in the learning stages and will never learn all there is to learn about trout fishing but that is what makes the sport so appealing to me. There is nothing like being on a beautiful stream on a warm summer day or an early spring day trying to land the trout of a lifetime. I can’t wait to get back on the water as soon as the weather gets right.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 AM

I haven't hooked into any large trout (that I know of) with a fly rod. I hope I will, but I'd be perfectly happy catching the fish that I do. My biggest trout was ironically my first trout (on the fly). I was fishing with an elk hair caddis on the Caney when a 14" brown SLAMMED it and went airborne. It was a tough fight and I thought I was going to lose him but he was hooked behind that flap in his jaw, it wasn't going anywhere.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 AM

I to used to chase the bucket mouth's, still do occasionally on the fly rod.
Ounce for ounce, i find it hard to beat a bluegill

Grumpy