Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Default let's talk carp

I've probably heard about more methods for catching carp on a fly rod than I have for trout. There's the soaking flies in corn and letting them rot method, tossing wooly buggers by there noses, running fox squirrel nymphs under an indicator, throwing san juans, red a$$ sh, popcorn flies, mulberry flies, midges on 6x, even seen one caught on a smallie popper. I thought I'd go to the first hand source of information. What flies do you carp fisherman go to on the stream of lake? I've tied a few bushy ugly nymphs I predict to be effective, but I don't really know at all. Carp and smallies will be my number one target this summer. My current strategy for carp is set a heavy wooly bugger down in the dirt by their nose and twitch it slowly. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about the golden ghost.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 PM

Smile Carp!!

Man I don't know carp about crap?? But I got the itch like you, I have seen em tailing on the holston (not the soho) up by Nancey's ferry, I have caught em as a kid on bread balls and a bobber, I even caught one on the fly one time on the holston. Total accident. And I hooked a monster blue lookin carp, I guess they call it a buffalo carp? on the clinch behind the Anderson county jail. But seeing em tail makes me see the fresh water version of the redfish in lowcountry SC were I am from. I wanna chase em too so anyone out there that knows I am all ears!! Thanks

If it swims throw a fly at it!!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM

I like to use a brown with yellow rubber leg bead head wooly bugger in a size 6. I have caught more carp on that one fly than anything. Find them on the flats and put it right on their nose. I have seen people using crab patterns but I can not bring myself to leave the perfect fly. Wooly Buggers always seams to work. Also a squirrel tail clouser minnow pattern will work if you have to size down, say to a 8 or 10.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 PM

I like bugger type flies for when they are rooting around. usually try to come up behind them and high stick. Tie them with lead eyes or beadchain to ride hook up. Dragon fly nymphs like RLDs work well also.
If they are cruising, I would rather throw a white bugger or similiar white minnow imitation. You want something to slow sink evenly, not so heavy it head dives to the bottom.
If they are skimming the surface, a foam beetle can be productive. Watch directions of movement and place it in their path just like a rising trout.
Carp can be very technical and other times very easy. They are sure a lot of fun.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Size 6 white bugger is about as good as it gets. Like troutman said however, if they are slowly skimming the surface, id go with a PA, Beetle, or an Ant.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM

Can any of you tell a difference in whether the wooly buggers have rubber legs on them or not. I personally like the rubber legs but don't know if it really makes any difference on carp.