Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Cool Fishing Product!
Yes 3 37.50%
No 1 12.50%
Could be 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 AM

Post Interesting GPS Device

Fellas, this should technically be in some other topic. However, I thought it would be super beneficial to post it in the [TN Trout Streams & Tailwaters].

I think this device would be a great tool to map out fishing adventures both on water and land. You can go on to your Google Earth and add notations and pictures. There are several different devices on theirs site.

I just thought this one is very cool that it interfaces with GoogleEarth, plus it is fairly affordable at around $150.

http://www.gearthstore.com/products/...k/details.html

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM

Most of the places I trout fish are so short that it would be completely worthless for me. That combined with the fact that I know every rock, tree, and ledge in both tailwaters I fish. Just something else to fight with.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Waterwolf,
Agree. I thought that what your brain was for.....remembering rocks, logs, cuts, shelfs, shoals on tailwaters.

Kinda like remembering that log between the second and third shoal at Peach Orchard.....
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
Waterwolf,
Agree. I thought that what your brain was for.....remembering rocks, logs, cuts, shelfs, shoals on tailwaters.

Kinda like remembering that log between the second and third shoal at Peach Orchard.....
Or the giant coral head at the bottom of coldwater, right in the middle of the chute which loves to rip chunks of fiberglass off of your boat.

I guess if you trip, step off, or slip on something enough times it gets burned into your memory
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Yes, with this thing you can tag all of those spots and share the maps and spots with friends on the internet...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-07-2009, 11:36 AM

I tried a GPS a few years ago and was very disappointed. It was heavy, ate batteries, I never needed on a trail, and rarely worked under tree cover, but I know they have gotten better (but not lighter!). If you get one make sure to get one of the newer "high sensitivity" receivers or you will never get signal under tree cover or in a river gorge. I believe these are desinated by a "x" in the name of Garmin recievers. I have a backpacking buddy that has a Garmin Colorado (I am not sure which one) with the new high sinsitivity reciever and he has gotten satalites in Linville Gorge which probably means you can get signal about anywhere.

For day trips (where you don't have to worry about battaries or weight) I can see where one would be very benificial for marking spots that you wanted to go back and fish later (sometimes, I couldn't find a spot again I wanted to fish) especially if some time has passed between trips.