Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-28-2009, 02:29 PM

Default 6-8 wt. advice

Another thread seeking rod advice. I know it's difficult to advise on rods but I'll ask anyhow. I have been through several mid weight rods to find my "sweet spot" in a BIIx 5 wt. 8'6" Winston. Now I've been fishing this rod since last Feb. on everything 95% of the time. It fits my cast well so here is the question: I'm getting a little tired in the shoulder and wrist trying to fish really big poppers and weighted crayfish patterns etc for bass. I'm leaning toward the BIIX in a 6 wt but not sure if that will be a big enough improvement over the 5 wt?? Should I maybe be looking toward a 7 or 8 wt? Would that help a lot with weighted crayfish and #4 poppers, saltwater flies, etc.? Thanks--Bran
Old 07-28-2009, 03:59 PM

A 6 wt or a 7 wt will be adequate for fishing larger poppers, weighted crayfish, etc... But, when you say you're using Saltwater flies, do you mean your using them for bass or for saltwater fish? If you're using them for saltwater fish (Redfish, Bonefish...), go with an 8 wt. 5 wt's aren't made to make long casts with big poppers easily...

**I recommend taking a large #4 bass popper or heavily weighted fly and testing out a few rods...Then you can narrow down your possibilities...**
Old 07-28-2009, 04:28 PM

Go with the 8wt. Eventually you'll be throwing size 1 clousers with large lead eyes, big bunny strip streamers and large poppers and will want the power.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 PM

I'm gonna do some testing of course but I was thinking maybe heavier would be better. I'm probably cast a 7 and an 8 but I don't know if they will let me put the flies on to test the rod??
The saltwater flies I've been throwing are for White Bass, LMB, etc. I've got a variety of the weighted baitfish patterns with bunny strips on them etc. You know how they're heavy to start with then you dunk them the first time and they double in weight. Really stressing out my 5 wt and my neck from ducking!!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
I don't know if they will let me put the flies on to test the rod??
They should...Head over to LRO..They'll do whatever it takes to make sure you get the right rod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
The saltwater flies I've been throwing are for White Bass, LMB, etc. I've got a variety of the weighted baitfish patterns with bunny strips on them etc. You know how they're heavy to start with then you dunk them the first time and they double in weight. Really stressing out my 5 wt and my neck from ducking!!
A 5 wt rod and a huge weighted baitfish pattern don't mix to well. It's an easy way to get your ears pierced though...
Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 AM

If you like your BII, look at the BIIMX in a 7 or eight, leaning more towards the 8 on account of they don't weigh a lot.
I cast a 6 weight with splitshot & a heavy streamer, TIRING!

Grumpy