Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 10-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Default Live Bait Regulation Changes

IMO everyone should push for the prohibition of the use of game fish for bait.

This would help prevent the possibility of the spread of disease into our trout streams, plus help stop some of the poaching of game fish for bait which is a problem

http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/2608
TWRA Soliciting Comments Concerning Proposed Live Bait Regulation Changes

Released on Fri, Sep 25, 2009 - 5:55 am under NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency proposed a suite of regulation changes pertaining to the sale and use of live bait in the state to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission during its Sept. 17 meeting.
The TWRA is now soliciting public comments on these proposed regulations, particularly from anglers who use live fish, crayfish, or salamanders for bait and bait dealers who sell fish and other aquatic life for bait. (The proposed regulation changes can be found below.)

The TWRA is proposing these regulations to address several issues. Primarily, these regulation changes are necessary to help prevent unwanted species from being imported and accidentally stocked into Tennessee waters. Non-native fish and crayfish introductions resulting from bait bucket transfers are becoming a growing problem in many Tennessee waters and these introductions can negatively impact fishing. TWRA believes that this regulation package is the best option for preventing these introductions in the future.

These regulations will also help to reduce the risk of disease transfer through live bait use. Deadly fish diseases like Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) have been found in states that provide live bait to Tennessee and TWRA wants to prevent these diseases from entering Tennessee waters through the bait trade.

TWRA is asking for public comments on these proposed regulation changes by Oct. 25, 2009. Public comments should be submitted by mail to: Live Bait Comments, TWRA, Fisheries Management Division, P.O. 40747, Nashville, TN 37204 or emailed to TWRA.Comment@tn.gov. Please include Live Bait Comments on the subject line of emailed submissions. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission will vote on these regulations at their Oct.29-30, 2009 meeting in Knoxville.

---TWRA---
AttachmentSize AttachmentSize Proc 09-21 amends Commercial fishing Proc 08-01.pdf9.31 KB Proc 09-20 Bait Proclamation.pdf31.08 KB Sport Fishing Proclamtion Change for Bait Regulations.pdf8.68 KB
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM

Thumbs up

RuningWolf,
Good Post! Thanks for keeping us abreast of recent changes.

You related to Waterwolf?
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-03-2009, 09:47 AM

Seeing how I fish for other things other then trout which are better caught using minnows etc, I do not support this idea. I have killed boat fulls of stripers below 61 bridge using Clinch caught trout as well and rest assured for the handful of trout that perished it was well worth it to try and rid the world of the striped demons.

It is rare I do not support stricter regs towards fish and game, but this time I am anti reg change.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 PM

Waterwolf,

Young man, maybe you should consider other angler's preferences. After all, we all share these waters.

Byron
Old 11-03-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Waterwolf,

Young man, maybe you should consider other angler's preferences. After all, we all share these waters.

Byron

And likewise maybe other folks should consider that not everyone in this state fishes with artificial lures. I am 99% of the time chasing with flies, but do like the option of fishing minnows for crappie and live bait for stripers as well.

I spoke with several fishery biologists today and none knew of any evidence of problems with local fisheries as a result of disease infested bait.

I have no problem with the restriction of invasive species being used as bait. Although many times the invasive species provide another food source.