Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Default question about baculas

Does anyone use or have used the fishing baculas. If I am saying that right. It is the scarf like thing that goes on around the bottom part of the face while out on the waters? I am thinking about investing in one to help cut down on chances of skin cancers.I have not found any where local that has them and mot sure if LRO carries them so I can only go by what you guys say and I read. Are they breathable? Are they hot, are they aggrevating? My fishing partner has had 16 skin cancers removed and my mother has had 2, I am just trying to look ahead.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 PM

Are ya talking about a buff? I have worn one in Charleston and the Bahamas, they work, they breath, and they will save you especially on a boat due to reflective rays off the water. I love mine I think that they got em now with some anti bug sauce woven in em too? You can get em in all different prints and you can wear down on your neck, or up over your face, a wise investment if you fish open water, plus you don't have to contnually re-apply sunscreen, good stuff if you got the skin cancer thread in your family BUY one, they are not that annoying, and they are only like 20 bucks so worth it, you can wash em too, Not sure if LRO has em, they may I got mine from Black fly outfitters in fla

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Carolinaboy it is called a buff. I just looked it up on bass pro shops. Thank you for getting the name right for me. I do a tremendous amount of open water fishing. I wade open lakes and fish from boats. I am thinking hard about that purchase. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 PM

GET IT brother! I really like mine, it is not that hot and when i am in the bahamas you can always pull it down periodically to cool off or whatever, good idea and tell your fishing buddy to get one for sure

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 PM

Another common term for a face shield is a balaclava...although the ones I used were when I was in the Marine Corps and were designed mostly for warmth, although they did have lighter ones for the desert. We always pronounced the word as "baklava" so I think that is where you got that from.

The link is for one on Orvis:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ELAID=48022376

John

Last edited by JohnH0802; 11-19-2009 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: add link for balaclava
Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Thanks Johnh0802. I had not even thought about checking that website. Appreciate it.