Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-12-2009, 10:40 AM

Question What weight rod?

I currently have a 5wt Temple Fork Professional Series rod, which is a huge step up from the all in one Walmart rig I started with in June. I have gotten hooked on fishing the Catch and Release Section of Raven Fork for those huge fish, and in spring I will be lake fishing with my fiance (will be wife by that time). I am afraid of breaking my 5 wt on the over 20in. trout over there and bass in the lake. I was thinking of getting a 7wt TFO TiCrX in 9-10ft so that I have some more room to horse the fish around a little. Please give suggestion on what weight and length rod I should get. My current rod is 8.5 ft, and if I change I would like to go up.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:01 PM

Just bought a TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series myself last month and love it!. It's a 5wt (9ft), and is plenty of rod for trout here in Tn as I was told by the shoppe keep. I also own a White River-Hobbs Creek 8wt (9ft), and was my only rod for a long time, it's great in my opinon for largemouth, smallies, stripers, and was my only rod for trout until the TFO. I can tell a difference in just a few uses of the TFO's better quality build than the White River. Dont get me wrong, I do love my 8wt as well, and I love a great deal, just keep in mind that when it comes to rods/reels/ect. you do get what you pay for imho . I'm sure that the rods I own wont be the last, and one can never have too many. Hope this helps you.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 PM

I have had the ticrx from tfo and they are extremely fast. They will not protect light tippets and really to cast them right they are designed for more experienced casters. If staying in that tfo line I would just move up to a good 6wt or 7 wt in the professional line or the jim teeny rods. or move over for around the same money to the sage launch series rods which imho are much nicwer than the TFO rods.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks guys. I would like to get a nice orvis, sage, or any other high ned brand, but I can not bring myself to soend that kind of money. At my skill level I don't think I could tell the difference. I may have to look at the TFO prof. 7/8 wts. I love weight I have. It probably doesn't love me after taking a few spills and tossing it on top of rocks so I could climb over up around Ramsey Prong.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:42 PM

I have 7 and 8 wt TFO Professional series. They are very good for what you want.
I would suggest the 8 wt over the 7wt. That would give you more fishing options. Everything
from Bass to Stripers to light Salt water.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:01 PM

Thank you. I was originally thinking of an 8wt, but was afraid it may be too much rod. I need to go to LRO and get a feel of one to see what I think.