Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 12-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Default Optimus Stove

Curious if anyone has any experience with Optimus? Good or Bad. My wife bought me one last week and I just do not have any experience with this brand. Thinking about taking it in and trading for a Jet or MSR but figured I would ask around first.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM

I have a Snow Peak Giga series with the auto igniter and absolutely love it. No problems with it and ultra-compact.

Chris
Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 PM

I have an older Optimus Svea 123 stove that has been extremely reliable over the years, although it is considered a dinosaur by today's standards. One of my fishing buddies uses a Snow Peak Giga like WVBrookie mentioned, and it performs flawlessly. I also have an MSR Pocket Rocket that has been a reliable stove. Which Optimus stove did your wife get for you?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 PM

It is a Crux. Seems to be very compact. More so than the others. Just never had any experience with it, though reading these post makes me a little more comfortable. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

It's a great stove a good backpacking friend of mine owns one he says it has never let him down even on cold mornings and it has a very stable base unlike the Giga Power and the MSR Pocket Rocket. I gave up canister stoves long time ago I use a tin can with denatured alcohol there is nothing to fail and it weighs 0.4 o/z. The one important thing with any canister stove is to keep the butane warm on cold mornings, and keep them out of the wind.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 AM

I had a Gigapower stove but a friend has it now. I use a Trangia alcohol stove almost exclusively. In my opinion a canister stove is a canister stove. As long as the base and pot supports are reasonably stable, I say keep it and use it.