Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-19-2010, 02:33 AM

Question Did I make a good choice?

I recently bought a Lamson Konic 8wt. fly reel. Before I bought it I was also looking at the Orvis battenkill LA IV which was $100 more. Was the Konic a good Choice for LM bass, Stripers, Carp, and maybe a saltwater trip someday or should I have spent the extra $100 for the orvis?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 AM

I think the Lamson Konics are a good choice of reel for what your wanting it too do. I am guessing though that the striper guys would suggest if your purely targeting stripers , then a 9wt and the Konic 4 reel would be a better choice.
The Lamsons have a good drag and that is what you need for stripers and carp. Its not so important for LM bass as they usually make short runs and most of the time can be played off the reel. Put a couple hundred yards of gelspun backing on it and spend the extra cash on a good line.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info. I just didnt see givin the extra $100 for the orvis when i could get the reel and line for what the orvis costed just for the reel. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Hey Bronzeback, I got 2 konics, a 4 and a 3.5 and one spare spool for the 3.5, I have caught bones and permit in da bahamas mon to bulldogin reds in the lowcountry and have not had a single problem, they seem to be indestructible as I accidentally dropped one on the pavement , Also salt cannot touch em and for the price how can you go wrong. For me I spend my money on trips all over and I don't have the $ to buy higher end stuff, but i need stuff that works, so far no worries, I cannot wait to see how they hold up to Tarpon in Cancun in May, and False Albacore in Nov!! IMO you made a good choice!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 01-19-2010, 02:50 PM

Thats good to hear how good they are I havnt even had a chance to use mine yet
I sure would like to go Tarpon fishing as a dream trip. What is that trip gonna cost you if you dont mind me askin? Thanks for the info
Old 01-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Well i am going to Cancun in May for my brother wedding, so I will be down there, and I have never been there before, for about a week. I contacted some frineds on another message board down in Charleston and one fellow had a guide that he highly recommended. SO I contacted him and set it all up. Chartering a guide in Cancun is suprosingly cheap. There were basically 3 options a 4 hr trip for 275.00 a 6 hr trip for 325.00 or a 8 hr trip for 450.00 or 475.00. that is for 2 anglers. The 8 hr trip requires a longer boat run and you are fishing an area that is more or less a permit trip. For a lot of people that would be exactly what they are looking for. I got spoiled and landed 3 permit my first trip to the bahams, so i am not so deranged by them , For me the idea of 6 hrs on the water and you are fishing within 10 minutes is right on. The tarpon will be in the 20-50 lbs class (juvenile) it is also prime bone, and snook time as well, Having never chased Snook or Tarpon they are my top priority but man I love dem bones like nothing else. If you are interested in "affordable" fishing places hit me with an email, I don't have the money to chase tarpon in Fla at 500.00+ a day if you know what i mean! SeeYa

Barry Murphy
bmurphy055@gmail.com

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"

Tags
lamson konic 3.5