Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Default flies for spring

This year I would like to tie up a bunch of flies and use them on Spring Break. If I were to focus on a couple of patterns to tie.....what would you tie? I need flies for a week in March and maybe a summer vacation. Can someon also help me with the ingredients lists.
I'm thinking a couple dry patterns, nymphs, and wets.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 PM

I have come to love the zebra midge for the park and tailwaters. I tie mostly black. I also like the neversink. I tie it in orange, yellow and green foam. I have been thinking of stocking up on Stimies and Adam's for dries too and I also tie a few BHPTN for the park in addition to the midges. Oops sorry, I see I already replied to this in another folder.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM

I do well in the spring with attractor pattern dries (I prefer yellow stimulators), small stonefly nymphs, & Isonychia nymphs.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 PM

that's alright blueraiderfan, I reworded my question and posted it here! It seems more people read this folder....and i wanted a few more replies!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM

Did you get a chance to look at Hugh Hartsell's hatch charts?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 PM

yes I did. I spent awhile today reading. I'm in an area with very little fly tying supplies available. And on his site he had flies, flies and more flies! There were way more patterns than I could ever hope to learn or buy stuff for. I was hoping for a "basics" list for the beginner fly tier.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to hillbillydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
This year I would like to tie up a bunch of flies and use them on Spring Break. If I were to focus on a couple of patterns to tie.....what would you tie? I need flies for a week in March and maybe a summer vacation. Can someon also help me with the ingredients lists.
I'm thinking a couple dry patterns, nymphs, and wets.

I do real well with elk hair caddis drys #14,#16,#18 in black,orange ,neon green. As for nymphs tellico's , wooly buggers , pheasant tails and hairs ear in #12 - #18
Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 AM

GRHE = Gold Ribbed Hares Ear. I prefer the prince, because that is what I have confidence in. On cold early spring days a #10-#12 PT dropped off a Quill Gordon wet is killer though. And I forgot to mention always, always, always have some EHC caddis in #14-#18. Color doesn't seem to matter as much until at least May IMO.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:11 PM

When there used to be a closed season...opened on April 15....I used to fish exclusively with Ginger Quill dry fly....only because I knew no better...and my eyes were still good enough to see them....caught plenty of fish....first nymphs I ever fished in the park were a prince nymph and a zug bug